How to Fill a Table of Sheet Metal Bending Area

Hello

Could someone help me or explain to me how to fill a bend area table with the -K factor (I use Solidworks 2012).

I tried but I have mistakes when I unfold my piece.

I attach the table I made as well as a screenshot of the unfolding errors.

Thank you

facteur_-k.zip

The table you used is a template table and no folding area, is it voluntary?.

To tell the truth, I don't know which table to take.

So no, it's not voluntary.

Okay, okay, so for me you're not starting from the right table.

Use the Kfactor Base Bend table table.xls which is normally located in the C:\Program Files\SolidWorks Corp\SolidWorks\lang\French\Sheetmetal Bend Tables folder

and let me know if it suits you.

I have a mistake when I unfold my piece.

attached capture + table used.

erreur.zip

Using your table with a 4mm sheet metal and a 4mm bending radius (for example) I have no problem.

Could you provide me with your part so that I can see where the problem comes from?

Here is the piece.

test.sldprt

In your part you have put a sheet thickness of 1.5 and a bend radius of 1, so you have a radius-to-thickness ratio of 0.66666666.

Out of your K-factor table starts with the minimum ratio value at 1, so you either need to create a ratio column that is lower than your current ratio value (0.5 or 0.66 for example) and fill the column with the k-factor values, in which case it will work without any problem

or change your bending radius to a radius of 1.5 and there since the column of ratio 1 exsiste already it will work too

Right, it works :-)

On the other hand, if I change the thickness of the part to 3mm, it doesn't work anymore (radius/thickness ratio = 0.333)

Maybe you need to use another table that adapts the bending radius of the part in relation to the thickness?

Currently, I draw all my sheet metal parts with a radius of 1 to have only one K-factor per thickness to manage, which I enter manually each time. It's a bit restrictive and above all it happens sometimes I enter the wrong K factor, and suddenly I end up with false parts in production.

What do you advise me?

From what I understand, what bothers you is the fact that the kfactor base bend table is based on a ratio between radius and thickness.

In this case what I would advise you to do is to use the Metric Base Bend Table (it is in the same place as the previous one)

The easiest way is to make a copy that you will customize.

once the copy is made, in the headers we replace the type: Folding area with K-factor.

In this table we enter the K factor according to the parameters of bend angle, bend radius but also for each thickness (we have a table per thickness)

Then simply duplicate the tables to have as many as the thickness of sheet metal you use and fill in only the boxes you need.

1 Like

Hmmm, it doesn't work either :-(

On the test part 2 I should have a unfolded length 500mm. And with the metric base bend table, I get 496.28mm.

Is my board incorrectly populated?

And if I change the thickness to 3mm, I get "radius/thickness" errors

test_2.zip

I just did some tests, indeed with the metric base bend table we don't get the right result because of the "formatting" of the table (several requests on this subject have been reported to solidworks apparently), after some research it appears that in the case of a k factor only the kfactor base bend table.xls table is suitable (the one with the ratio therefore)

For me you have to use this table by entering the minimum and maximum ratio that you will have on your pieces, as long as your ratio is entered in the table it works in any case.

1 Like

Second solution also if you want to use the Metric Base Bend Table:

Use the table with a bend loss setup and populate it with correct bend loss values that correspond to a K-factor value that you are familiar with.

What I mean by that is not example to make an "L" part in solidworks with exterior dimensions of 100 by 100, assign the radius and thickness desired, give your k factor value that you want to get and measure the unfold value. We will therefore obtain the value of loss at the bend (basically if I have an unfolder that measures 190mm it means that I have a loss at the bend of 10)

1 Like

Thank you Franck,

I'm going to try the first method by entering the minimum and maximum ratio in the kfactor low bend table.

Hello

First of all, it is a question of understanding the SolidWorks philosophy for everything related to bend losses, etc.

Did you know that there is a tutorial on Lynkoa on this subject?

http://www.lynkoa.com/tutos/t%C3%B4lerie-m%C3%A9thodes-de-calcul-de-d%C3%A9velopp%C3%A9s

I strongly invite you to consult this document rich in information :-)

2 Likes

I can't close the question :-(.

Help

1 Like