How do I check if a part is self-stable or balanced?

I have a kind of Pergola in tubes about 3m high, I have to offer a version to be sealed in the ground (so no worries about stability) and a version on a plate just placed on the ground, not fixed.

I would like to know if there is a simple function on the solidworks simulation module to know if my plate that I would have designed is large enough for my pergola not to tip over under the effect of gravity and my load that I would have imposed on it?

Thank you

In terms of simulation I won't know, otherwise in terms of mecha a simple method is to evaluate the position of the center of gravity of the system to be able to project it on your turntable. If it's outside you'll have a tipping point.

Then you can also evaluate the effort required for the tipping with the moments of inertia.

Hoping a quick analytical approach helps!

3 Likes

Do you have to make sure that your center of gravity is axis and at the lowest of your design

@+ ;-)

2 Likes

You have to work with MOTION

Hello

As said above, you have to ensure the position of the center of gravity so that its projection on the ground is always above your plate, be careful not to forget the external forces that will be added to those represented such as for example the strength of the wind so probable bending in your tubes ...

Kind regards

1 Like

How can I see my center of gravity evolved after adding my main load to it?

Where should I look, the center of gravity is the same before and after loading..?

capture1.jpg

The easiest way is to check the box "Create the Mass Center function".

2 Likes

Hello

I like what stefbeno says and  as the center of gravity is updated with each move, you have to click on the traffic light.

However, this center of gravity is when you are outside the simulation.

For what happens in the simulation module, look here, there are good ideas and information   http://content.lynkoa.com/forum/ecoulement-des-fluides/simulation-express

Kind regards