Comparing Assembly Configurations

Hi all

I have an assembly with X configurations allowing me to do the sequencing of the assembly. For each configuration I want to make a comparison of the parts added between each step. I could make a comparison via Excel with the nomenclatures but it may be long and tedious.

Could Solidworks do that?

thank you for your help :slight_smile:

What do you mean by comparison? A simple information of the number of parts involved in a particular config or a difference in the number of parts between 2 configs?.. For my part, I would make a plan with as many tabs as configs + an overview (sectional or not) in each tab + a nomenclature in each tab. You would therefore quickly have the number of parts involved in each configuration by switching from one tab to another based on the number of articles. Afterwards, if there are several copies of an article, it's up to you to take it into account. In my opinion, this is the fastest way if you don't want to manage an XL or other data table.

1 Like

Hello

How is your assembly structured? In the configs representing the different assembly steps, are the components deleted? or simply hidden?

It might be interesting to form virtual subassemblies and, in each of its virtual assemblies, create a derived config that is exactly the same as a ready option in the config / Display properties of child components when used as a subassembly:

• main config: Show
  • Derived config: hide

Note: the advantage of using a derived config is that all the changes made in the main config are by default automatically applied to the derived config.

In the main assembly :
For the first configuration (step 1):
→ used the main configuration of the active subassemblies.
For the second configuration (step 2):
→ used the config derived from the subassemblies in step 1
→ used the main subassembly config added in step 2
and so on.

In the drawing:
Process, as suggested by @fminisini with a sheet for each step and for each a BOM, add a BOM with the following options:

Logically, you will get the details of the components added at each step.
You can then add lines and formulas to your BOMs to display the count of added components, for example, and according to your needs.

You right-click on a component (any component)/configure the component.
In the window that opens, you click on the icon circled in red:
config
All configured components and sides will appear.

1 Like

Hi all

Thank you for your answers. They seem to be all viable.
Comparative I mean " extract " the pieces that I add step by step. It is an assembly with parts and sub-assemblies.

In my assembly, the parts are deleted, then put back for the assembly steps.

Le @Silver_Surfer's answer seems to me to be what I need. I try that. Thank you

1 Like