Compare parts from two or more assemblies

Hello

I am a user of solidworks 2017,

If I open this discussion it is because I am looking for a solution to compare the parts of two asseblages or more.

So here it is, in my company we often reuse existing parts or sub-assemblies to create new parts! And so I would like to compare two (or more) approximately identical assemblies and be able to bring out the common parts between the two, in order to be able to list them and provide them to our supplier.

Thank you in advance, all solutions are welcome.

1 Like

Hello I guess the PB is that you are looking for identical parts in several ASS but which do not have the same name, is that right?

There is a solution at DS Exalead One part

In short, it is a search engine that can index properties but also 3D geometry.

Look for duplicates, common parts, or substantially identical.

2 Likes

Hello Franck.ceroux, thank you for your answer.

So no, I'm looking for  identical parts (same reference) in several different assemblies. In order to be able to output a list with part X is used in assembly 1 and 2, part Y in assembly 1 and 3, part Z 1; 2 and 3 ,... etc.

But I'm looking for a solution with the basic version of solidworks or tools like mycadtool.

I think that this solution is a bit expensive for the few times we have to carry out this research.

Watch via Draw Compare Design Checker

http://www.lynkoa.com/tutos/3d/design-checker-et-draw-compare

@+

1 Like

If the common parts have the same ( file) name.

All you have to do is find a log that looks for duplicates on Windows.

Make a take-home composition of each ASS and compare the files in each directory.

Edit: be careful if the original assemblies are saved with their parts in different locations, two parts with the same name does not necessarily mean two identical parts.

In addition, you have to make sure that the geometry and properties are identical.

2 Likes

Hello GT22 and thank you for your answer.

I just looked at the tutorial, and I don't see at any time a way to answer my assembly comparison problem?

Maybe you would explain to me if you have ever had to deal with it?

with Design Checker

You can compare the parts of your assemblies  and your bill of materials

depending on the options chosen so by the fact find the common rooms

unless I didn't understand your question

@+

2 Likes

Hello

Are your assemblies to be analyzed loaded into SW or can they be loaded via a macro?

Because if it's for occasional analysis on the comparison of targeted assemblies then it is feasible via a macro or a small program.

Kind regards

Hello d.roger,

I don't really have an imperative for the comparison! Right at the end I would like to have some kind of list of parts, with the differences and common parts of these assemblies with a color code or a list that really interests me as long as it remains easy to understand for our suppliers.

Hello

Here are already examples of functions (in C#) that allow you to analyze the contents of SW assemblies.

There is still the comparison function to be written.

Kind regards

exemples_fonctions_analyse_contenu_asm_sw.cs
2 Likes

Hi d.roger,

Thank you for your code snippet. It's interesting.

Apparently, several declarations are missing: Child, ListeChild, ElemenChild, ListeElmenChild...

Can you please enlighten us (I'm a colleague of Aurélien) on what the code recovers? Not using the Document Manager APIs?

Hello remrem,

Here is all the code (done in a hurry so to check, take and improve). This makes it possible, from several Asm loaded in SW, to list the components of each Asm and then to indicate which are the parent Asm for each part.

Kind regards

exe_compare_asm_sw.7z
2 Likes

Thank you d.roger

I look at that.

I will not fail to come back to keep you informed ;-)

If you want to test what it looks like, you have to start SW, load 2 or 3 asm and then run the .exe which is in Exe Compare ASM SW\Source\bin\Debug. The result will be in the form of a csv file in the same folder at the end of the processing. For your information I'm on SW2015 but I don't think it changes much.

Kind regards