Catia V6 - SLDW 2013 Compatibility

Hi all

For the job I have to make a somewhat complex blade, forced to go through the "surface" box, no problem at this level, however my whole project is modeled in Solidworks 2013, and the SLDW surface panel is too small for my application.

Is it possible to model my blade with Catia V6, which has a more complete surface workbench, and open it with SLDW while being able to modify the functions of my part, without it being a file like STEP or other for the sake of summary?

It may be a bit of a silly question, but I would like to be able to modify my blade under SLDW without having to go back to Catia V6 each time.

Thank you in advance for your answers.

Have a nice day

Quentin

Hello

Unfortunately, compatibility between software remains a distant dream for the moment, even between two software from the same company and even more so in the surface.

It is possible to do this in some cases (Pro-E in SolidWokrs for example) or with FeatureWorks (present from SolidWorks Pro) but especially for classic solid shapes (milled part, turned or sheet metal).

There are also interafces and gateways that allow you to do this, but at too high a cost if it is for a single use as it seems to be the case for you.

@+

1 Like

Hello

So in SolidWorks, you can open native Catia V5 (I don't know if it works with V6)

But it only works in that way. You will open the Catia V5 in SolidWorks, but SolidWorks will not be able to save it in the Catia format. But it's a paid option, I'd have to look in more detail if it's available with the premium version (Pro, I'd be surprised).

For Bidirectional, Datakit has made an interface (again, I don't know if it works with Catia V6).

Otherwise I'm surprised that you're in V6, it's very recent isn't it?

At your disposal for more information

Yves

3 Likes

@coyote ha but if there is a (small) bit of compatibility....

See attached screenshot

catia-sw.jpg

@Yves,

The interfaces you mention do not allow the retrieval of the function history as @hospital.quentin wishes.

On the other hand, I would like to point out that there are many functions in SolidWorks that will allow you to modify an imported body even without having its build history.

@+

@coyote yes, the history of functions is not preserved. Which doesn't mean you can't change the design in SolidWorks...

In fact, it depends on the changes you want to make, which can lead to complexity and also to spend a significant amount of time on it.

So you might as well do the maximum in Catia and favor the minimum of modifications in SolidWorks.

Thank you for your answers.

In fact I am a work-study student, so I have SLDW  in the company and Catia at school.

So I'm going to try to model my blade on Catia and open it with premium SLDW. It will already be not bad.

I can then "continue" my piece, but not modify what I did under Catia if I understood correctly?

@yves: How do you get the Catia V5 (see image)?

And for the CGR, it seems that we get a "dead" file under CATIA according to a customer.

Yes, that's exactly it... You will be able to modify your Catia design in SolidWorks, unilaterally. Catia to SolidWorks

I looked, In SolidWorks Premium, I can open the Catia files.

Regarding the V6, I don't know how it's going to go. A feedback from you will satisfy my curiosity :-)

1 Like

Re

In SW premium there is no Catia interafce it is a paid option!

On the other hand, if your company has purchased on interface, yes, you can continue to work on the blade but not modify the construction steps carried out under Catia.

But as I wrote above, there are still a lot of functions in SolidWorks that allow you to modify surface bodies (modify face, move face, restore surface, ....)

@+

3 Likes

Re 

@hospital.quentin: What makes you say that SW is not able to create this famous pale??

@+

I confirm for the CATIA import under SOLIDWORKS either you need a CATIA Translator license that is fully integrated with SOLIDWORKS, or you need a Datakit type gateway

1 Like

maxi mea culpa: Indeed, it's not in the premium, it's a paid option (about 2000€)

1 Like

@Yves Boutherand

I'll try it by January and you'll share my feedback with Catia V6.

Thank you all.

Re 

@fthomas: anyway the CATIA interAFCE for solidworks is limited to CATIA V5, right?

@+

1 Like

@coyote, currently yes the catia translator is planned for V5, after nothing says that this module will not evolve in future versions to be able to open V6 for example

2 Likes

@hospital.quentin, I ask my question again what makes you say that SW can't make your pale?

@+

1 Like

If you give me a Catia V6 catpart, I'm willing to test. No need for a complicated part, it's just to see if it passes.

Like @coyote I think that you can make complex blades with SolidWorks, in surface...

1 Like

@Coyote

Different functions are not present on SLDW, or I haven't discovered them yet, which is also likely, such as the interpolation function.

The challenge is to make a blade for a hydroelectric turbine, once modeled, the CAD file will be used to create a 3D prototyping impression and then make the blade in the foundry.

@hospital.quetin: If your company is an Axemble customer and has acquired the MyCadServicies service, there are tools that allow you to create coubres and therefore surfaces from point files (xls, txt or other).

Otherwise....

2 Likes