Version compatibility

Hello

A subcontractor has a 2011 version of SW and I have a 2014 version.
I'd like to know what would be the best file format to exchange 3D files (especially to keep the tapping functions!).

Thank you very much and have a good day to you.

Hello

To put it simply, you can always upgrade to a version but never go up, except for the 2014 sp5 which knew how to open the 2015 (to be confirmed). So with the 2014 version  you will be able to open 2011 without any problem  but for the opposite you will have to go through a gateway format either step or parasolid.

May the force be with you

2 Likes

Hello

You can try the step or the IGS for 3D transfer... however I don't know if in the 2011 version there was already the function recognition tool used

Have a nice day

2 Likes

In my humble opinion not possible the SW versions are not backwards compatible

so everything you do on 2011 will be readable on 2014 but the toolbox so the taps will not be taken into account it seems to me

unless you work with the same toolbox 

Unless you create real tapping, in which case it will work

otherwise for the 2014 / 2011 transfer the best is in parasolid for file exchanges

or go through OnShape 

d from what I understood it will be possible via SW 2017 since from what I have been able to read it will be multi format compatible and + is it will keep the creation tree

but not yet able to verify ;-)

@+

2 Likes

Hello

the simplest in my opinion is to save it in STEP and that your subcontractor opens it with featureworks which will recognize the functions used in the part(s)...

3 Likes