Office Add-in: SolidWorks PDM tab grayed out

Hello

since our migration to SW/EPDM 2020, the "SOLIDWORKS PDM" tab in office is grayed out. The supplement does not work. Office is unable to open a document in the vault that has not previously been cached. All positions are affected.

screenshot.1610634261.png

Good evening

Behavior already present on PDM 2019. I don't see the problem in itself, if the file is not cached there is nothing to open since the file is not present locally in the folder.

As PDM is coupled with SW, the files are "obtained" when opened, for office it is a bit more basic add-in.

1 Like

Good evening

in 2016,  Office would fetch the document if it wasn't already in the cache, and the ribbon interface allowed all the operations (extraction, archiving, transitions) that the PDM client offers.

The Office add-in, which I think you pay for in a separate license, doesn't work.

Hello

Before saying that the office add-in doesn't work, are you sure that there isn't a setting in Epdm that "jumped" in the version change?

From memory, in Epdm it is possible to specify the automatic caching of certain files and/or folders when connecting, this may help?

Kind regards

2 Likes

Important question: which version of Office?

A priori Office 365 is not compatible by default (because it updates itself at Microsoft's discretion) and there is also a compatibility list between the versions of Office and those of SW.

2 Likes

@d.Roger: I maintain that the supplement does not work. The failure to obtain the document in the cache is only a consequence of this malfunction. I can open a document already in the cache, and yet the tab remains completely grayed out.

@froussel: We are indeed on Office 365. We already had Office 365 under Win7 and ePDM 2016 and the add-in worked. Today we are on Win10 and ePDM2020. The version of Office 365 is probably not the same as before. I'm going to dig into this compatibility story.

Hello

The office add-in is not paid for except it's part of the basic license of SolidWorks PDM Pro (or even the standard but not verified).

Maybe to see on the installation side in addition to the compatibility if no problem (but since there is the banner I guess it went down again at the installation).

By any chance, office was not installed after SW?

Resolute!!

The recording of the following DLLs was to blame.

• c:\program files (x86)\SOLIDWORKS Corp\SOLIDWORKS PDM\office.dll
  • c:\program files (x86)\SOLIDWORKS Corp\SOLIDWORKS PDM\epdmlib.dll

It remains to be seen whether the incessant updates of Office 365 are not the cause of this malfunction.