Advanced Design of an RC Airplane

Hi all!

I had started designing an RC plane with SolidWorks but I switched to CATIA V5 because that's what is used in my company (and in many others) so I might as well take advantage of it to train!

I know how to make basic parts and assembly (even if I'm not sure I'll do it right!) but now I'd like to know the best way to design an aircraft on CATIA V5

I did several more or less convincing tests... I was thinking of going into wireframe, modeling only half of the plane and putting a symmetry (by connecting several sketches according to several planes, then thickening the whole thing and once I have my hull, I could tackle the interior (reinforcements, engine location, battery etc...)

What do you advise me as the best solution?

Thanks in advance:)

Hello, creating the armature by a succession of sketches is fast but less precise in terms of tangency management. I would rather use splines on successive planes.

For shapes that do not touch the plane of symmetry, there should not be too many PBs, but for the body of the plane, it can pose PBs depending on the direction of the curves (armatures) with respect to the plane of symmetry. I wouldn't do symmetry but would completely draw each frame of the fuselage and cockpit.

Thank you for your answer!

What do you mean by "splines on successive planes?", do I stay in wireframe or product structure mode?

I admit to being a little lost

PS: for the symmetry, I saw that it caused some bugs not serious, I can always work by symmetry at the level of the sketches!

Thank you for your help anyway!

Hello

Spline on successive plane

There is a lot of possibility to draw a shape, a surface.

Example if you want to draw a bottle :

You can start from a circle and extrude it. You'll have a bottle with a cylindrical body

From a profile and make a revolution, you get the same thing but you can easily modify your profile and get grooves or bosses like mineral water bottles.

But if you want to design a liquid detergent style bottle (rather oblong shape) you will draw the profiles of your shape on two perpendicular planes.

And if you want to control the shape even more, you will draw the reinforcements on successive planes (vertical slicing)

Or the simplest, if you have a FreeStyle type sculpting software (design) on hand, you don't bother with a parametric, especially if it's for a unique design.

Do you want to invent an MR airplane or do you have an airplane model that you want to reproduce ?

I don't know which version of CATIA you use ?

But Wireframe is a light workshop, it's more like Generative shape design.

1 Like