Design of a slide with a cone

Hello 

In order to make a slide, I use a system with a cone that I live to translate vertically and two blocks in contact with the cone that translate horizontally.

My problem is that I would like to be able to remove material from the two blocks in horizontal translation that perfectly follows the trajectory of the cone and I encounter some difficulties. Indeed, it is not enough to simply remove material in the shape of a cone because of the rectilinear trajectory of my cone. (see photo for system).

If anyone has any leads, I'm interested

glissiere_one.png

Hello

Have you already used this slide system or is it a first try ? I'm not a pro in mechanics, and I have a doubt about the process. I'll see more of a drill chuck type system with flute! 

I think I know that there are people on this forum, very knowledgeable on the subject!

I admit that I don't have too much doubt about the operation of the system, after I didn't show the whole thing, but the two blocks are wedged in a housing to guide them in translation and the reason to want to better fit the shape is to gain contact surface with the slide housing on low surfaces (see photo) because in the completely open position, the bottom surface is no longer in contact with the red sump

glissiere_avec_carter.png

Hello@alexandre

Your explanation is not very clear, if I may say so.

If you have two flat surfaces (on parts that move horizontally) that slide on a cone , you will already have a minimum fiction anyway since it is like having a contact on an edge.

I didn't understand this "" the reason for wanting to fit the shape better is to gain contact surface with the slide housing on low surfaces ""

In any case, your system will freeze right away because you will have two simultaneous buttresses. In addition, I don't give much for your tapping because the cylinder of your cone is not guided, so there too, buttresses guaranteed.

To come back to your request, specify the "fit better" by indicating which shape.

Kind regards

2 Likes

Hello Zozo_mp

Thank you first of all for your answer,

I am aware that my system has problems with arcing and grazing but it is not optimized at all for the moment, I am just looking for a working principle. I'd just like to validate the principle before fixing the other problems like the cone guidance. My goal is that the two blocks that translate horizontally are not only in contact on a single line with the cone but that they have a removal of material that follows the shape of the cone to really have two surfaces in contact and not a single edge. My problem is that if I do a material removal not straight (for the bevel shape in contact with the cone) but in a normal conical shape, it doesn't take into account the vertical travel of the cone. So I don't know the shape of the pocket that I have to make for the two blocks. 

I hope I've been clearer, I'm linking a screenshot to show the blocks with a normal conical pocket to better understand why a simple conical pocket doesn't work. 

poche_conique.png

The idea, would that be in pj?

glissiere.jpg
1 Like

Exactly that's the kind of rendering I need, I see the idea but it's not long since I switched to solidworks and I don't see how to do it on this software.

Can I ask you how you did it? 

Hello

Don't forget to think about machining because then it will probably be NC if your shape is too complex.

I think there's a simpler and more clever form to find.

I'll turn on my Gambergeur and I'll tell you if it's pure skull juice.

To pluche

1 Like

After what I didn't fill in is that we have quite small dimensions (the external center distance of the two horizontal blocks is between 23mm and 36mm) so the two blocks may be made of plastic. Is it easier to have more adaptable geometry;)

In any case, thank you for all your feedback, I've been there since this morning and I was shooting myself, I'm getting a taste for life again;) haha

I agree with zozo_mp. I think it has a simpler and more efficient system.

Otherwise I just thought of another way to do it by avoiding the conical shapes pj

But I'd like to know how you went about contact_168 making the attachment you sent me just before it can always be useful for me later

capture.png

Hello

I found it!

Just make a groove with the bottom with a constant radius; and as a counterpart a sphere or a bacon with a ray.

I'm doing the drawing and animation.

This will solve a lot of buttress and  guidance problems: you can do something clever and simple.

Kind regards

2 Likes

I improved my new model if I could get some feedback I think it's much simpler and easier to set up even if it's still a bit of DIY

pj of the assembly and pj of the crankcase following 

glissiere_avec_cale.png

PJ Crankcase with Shim

carter_avec_emplacement_cales.png

Here's the method I used. On the other hand, there is machining in the air! There are definitely other design methods.  I'm in SW 2018 SP4

glissiere_essai.sldprt
1 Like

Good evening Alexandre

Here is my proposal as an attachment for discussion if the subject is still topical.

Kind regards

PS: as you don't have the 2019 version I think I can make you an animated  GIF ;-)
so you'll see the movement better if my PDF isn't clear enough.

principe_simple_du_coinceur_.pdf
5 Likes

Hello 

Thank you for your really great idea, I hadn't thought about this kind of operation at all but it corresponds perfectly to my needs. The only downside is for the mounting of the screw with its ball at the end but there must be an easy way to do that. In any case, great proposal, we'll size it right away;)

Hello

The ball is cut from the mass of the screw because in fact I made the rod a little thin but it can be bigger.

I'll draw you the picture if you give me the diameter of your screw.

Kind regards

PS: what material will you make your life in because you currently have a defect in your drawing on the beginning and end of the net.

My screw should be M8 at max or M5 if it's too big, I understood how the screw works and its construction but what I meant is that if the ball is bigger than the diameter of the screw (which is the case) I may have a problem getting it into my housing. After I always have the possibility to design a two-part crankcase that I fix after assembly, in short I will find a solution. 

For the threading of the screw it's normal I haven't taken a real screw for the moment I just made a threaded axle in a hurry to have a preview but otherwise the screw may be stainless steel I think