Railing design, multibody or assemblies?

Hi all

Being a Solidworks user for about ten years now (in the field of metalwork/locksmithing), I am now asked more and more constraints related to the flow rates and assembly in the workshop behind.

I wanted to know what you thought of the 2 possible methods (advantages / disadvantages) between MULTIBODY modeling & ASSEMBLY? (Personally, over time, I've refined my multibody method, which goes, I think, 10 times faster, and I manage a general assembly of the overall project).

In terms of flow and laser, I made body extracts, with a summary plan indicating the quantity and putting a reference name (Annotation), and counted my pieces by hand, and that's it.

Now, what bothers me is that I am asked if it is possible to put a marker on a part body, and that the software finds the whole of this common body that has been created in different multibody parts.... That is to say, that I can have, for example, the same laser part (so body) in several different parts (multibody), and there, I wouldn't know how to do automatic tracking (whether it's quantity, designation, ...)

Do you have any solutions to this?

I am indeed less and less adept at assembly piece by piece which I find very very very long ... and given that we only make 5-legged sheep (specific models on each project).

I think that Tekla would be more suited to the request of my management, namely the automatic output of flows, markings, files for machining, etc.

To your keyboards, so that you can enlighten me please!

Hello 

Personally I prefer multi body, so I have all my flow tables, welding etc which evolve correctly at the same time as the "carcass", all on a 3D sketch basis

I directly integrate the parts (derivative part ) for example rivets, studs etc. 

I assume that if the parts are welded together, it's a part and not an assembly.

Ok, thank you for your feedback.
But how do you manage the scouting of common lasers, if you have 50 different bodyguards (with some common parts) for example?

Hello

So I'm going to make a mess but I combine the two. I open an empty assembly and I create my parts in it by doing from the assembly tab, new part, then I create my part and so on, the parts are saved in the assembly for construction and when everything is frozen we can save them outside of it to create the MEPs. My principle is identical to multi-body, without the disadvantages.

2 Likes

I have the same approach as @g.casters: if it's welded, it's a part.
Now, if there is a really recurring track (to the project and/or to the company), we have 2 options, either integrate it as @g.casters does for the rivets or make an assembly.
To see how we can bring up the information of the mechanically welded part in the assembly nomenclature.

Regarding the rivets, personally, I'm not too much for putting them in the room: the rivets are used to assemble 2 parts, so it's an assembly.
On the other hand, the crimped nuts, welded studs are in the room.

@novice85 when I have common parts, in reality I have 2codes

1 part number and a code for the type of work 

In summary I can have 5 serial numbers, produced under the same FAB code

ex

FABLA"Family N°-ERP N° = laser >

FABUS"Family N°-ERP=>machining

FABMS"N°famille"-N°ERP=>mechanisowelded

And that I manage in assembly business, a kind of assembly where all my railings are => fab plan for these elements.

@stefbeno YES ditto "slip of the tongue" I didn't mean rivet but rivkey (rivet nuts) and I even created a bib nut to differentiate them from the classic nuts

Thank you @g.casters!

Could you give me an example of "railing" type files? so that I can analyze that a little?

in MP if needed.

For my part, I build everything in the assembly and common parts such as plates or plugs etc in a common part folder and I import and repeat  them as the design progresses.

1 Like

Thank you @ac cobre 427!

I think it's still a good solution.

What bothers me is to put 3 constraints each time for each part ...

(I tried to contact you by PM, but it doesn't work.... I would have liked to exchange with you)

For the really recurring components, there are the smart components (name to be checked, basically the components are prestressed).
I have a few screws/washer/nut that work like this, it's practical.