Sheet metal cone with overlay for spot welding

Hello

I've already seen the tutorials to make a cone and be able to unfold it using a 359° revolution and the addition of a fold.

My need is a little more advanced because I would like to obtain the development of a cone BUT with an overlap of the sheet metal to allow the assembly of the cone in spot welding.

Does anyone have an idea?

Approximate dimensions: height=1200mm, Øbas=500mm, Øhaut=450mm, 50mm overlap, thickness 1.5mm.

Thank you in advance!!

Hello

You make a normal cone edge to edge and then you add a line to your flat press (a sketch with the necessary roundings + 50mm extrusion necessary for the overlap.)

Then to make the right width depending on whether you make a silk or not.

Kind regards

3 Likes

Hello

See if it can help you? Made with Solidworks 2016

teste.sldprt
1 Like

This one seems better to me!

Part update following thickness error...

teste_02.sldprt
1 Like

@ ac cobra impossible to open your files

See attached image

Overlapping cone

Detail Overlap

unfolded

@+ ;-)

2 Likes

Thank you for the various answers but I can't put them into practice:(

Using the system of transition folds like ac_cobra really doesn't make it easy for me because my sketch is made from an assembly.

In short, I would like to keep the revolving function to do the first part of the cone.

I am attaching my working file, the external references used in sketch 1 have been removed.

test_cone.sldprt

Hello

You should not use the revolution function and then convert to sheet metal but transition fold.

You create the  bottom shape and then the top shape of the plane that you will have created before then you use the transition fold sheet metal function as in my last one that I had attached in the previous answer (part teste_02.sldprt) made in SolidWorks 2016

1 Like

Well if I have no choice, I'll try to do it like this even if it doesn't really suit me;)

I still have a problem though, when I try to reproduce the method of your ac-cobra file, I can't select the 1st sketch... Which seems identical to yours. Any idea??

The error message is: All sketch entities require soft connections. Please add fillet to sharp corners or rel...

Yet that's what I did:(