Simplified configuration / Simplify the whole

Hi all

I work on fairly heavy assemblies and I would like to create a simplified configuration for the head assembly so that it opens and operates more easily (navigation, view, section...).

I have a working method: I create multibody pieces (which are counted in the thousands, quite heavy) and then create an assembly of several parts. My head set including these assemblies. Basically I have 3 levels: SET, Assembly, multibody piece.

For your information, I don't use assembly constraints, all my parts have the same origin, so everything is fixed everywhere. And I don't have any screws anywhere.

Until now, to lighten the parts, I put functions (such as body repetition) in the deleted state, in a 'SIMPLE' configuration. I create the 'SIMPLE' config in the assembly and in the whole.

My question: is this the right method to lighten the opening of the general assembly? In other words, does SW load functions that are in the deleted state or only rebuild what is active? Because it still takes a long time to load...

Otherwise, apart from the speedpak, do you have a more suitable solution?

Thank you for your help!

1 Like

Hello 

Do you have any constraints between your parts? Does that mean which are mobile in relation to each other?

Dimitri

1 Like

Hello, do you activate the blocking bars in the rooms in order to limit the automatic reconstructions of all the rooms???

Otherwise your method seems suitable. Limit the configs. of each room, make simplified functions and limit the degrees of freedom (absent in your home) 

Cdt

2 Likes

@dimitri: All my parts are fixed in the assembly. No need for constraints since they are all already positioned in space in relation to the same origin.

@G.Sloubi 1: Yes, I use the locking bars on all the parts. But sometimes I have the impression that he rebuilds anyway.

Thank you

Very well, I didn't understand right away. Otherwise I agree with what G.Sloubi said after knowing that an assembly will necessarily be a rather heavy file.

You will have to be equipped accordingly in terms of computers otherwise it may be severely rowing! 

3 Likes

Try to put all your parts in lightened and work makes the parts useful only in normal

This will allow you to have only the parts you work on accessible

See this excellent tutorial

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ai7iJNYQMI

@+

Ok well I'll continue to be patient then! :)

For some body rep reconstruction it takes 20-30 min to resolve the bodies. It's loooooong... So I told myself that there must be another option to be lighter.

Thank you.

"20-30 min"? Bug.. Just for the record' what do you have as a config? What version of Solidworks are you working on?

Your method to lighten is clean in any case!

1 Like

We just switched to SW 2016 (before we were in 2013), so that's already a small change!

Here, for example, I just finished a circular body repetition (x6). So I find myself with 6000 bodies in a room. It took 40 minutes to solve everything and update the list of bodies (which I don't even do automatically). So to lighten the opening I will create a config by removing this function. I found this solution, so if you say it's the right one, well I'm happy but I would have preferred a miracle^^

1 Like

But what environment do you work in to have so many parts in your assembly?

1 Like

Nuclear power. I model a reactor for deconstruction. So yes it's super complex!

1 Like

Impressive! And you model everything with SolidWorks?

1 Like

Ok but what do you need to repeat 6000 times, if the room is multi body your computer will fail!

2 Likes

Yes, everything with SolidWorks. At the beginning, the method was to make simplistic geometry (no drilling, no complex machining) but we realized that we needed details.

Yes, I have to model everything because at the end there is a physical inventory to be done so you need the right number of elements to have the right final mass.

Have you made a view of the tutorial I posted

It gives a lot of information to work with a minimum of problems and believe me it works

@+

Hi, I strongly advise you to try the speedpack, it's a specific function for large assemblies. Otherwise, you should look at the solidworks recommendations for complex assemblies:

https://www.my-cad.fr/actualites/tutoriels/conception/be-sous-traitance/ouverture-assemblages-complexes-solidworks/

In particular the penultimate point, the management of large designs.

Hello

If it's just for navigation and reconstruction that you're looking to save time, I advise you to use the block bar tool, it avoids unnecessary rebuilds.

http://help.solidworks.com/2015/french/SolidWorks/sldworks/t_Freezing_Features.htm

http://help.solidworks.com/2012/french/SolidWorks/sldworks/r_freeze_bar_shortcut_menu.htm

@gt22: Yes, I watched the video and I have already set it up in this way.

@.PL: yes I wanted to try the speedpak because I've already used it before but it's long to set up so that's why I'm looking for something else before, but I think I'll stick to it!

@ac cobra: I already use the locking bar on all my parts.

Thanks everyone, I will try to continue optimizing the settings.

1 Like

There's something that also slows me down and annoys me: why when I change configuration (assembly or part) there is a reconstruction operation when the blocking bar is activated and at the bottom for all the parts?

It's quite normal that there is reconstruction by changing configuration

since you change the part of at least one or more elements of the part,

so you open the file and modify the block bar jump to auto

Avoid working on a server worked locally

So create your files on your personal disk or have your own personal PDM and only for you

don't work with the toolbox a real m.... e

Create your own library and no configues each piece has its own ref

and even less derivative configue (forbidden) ;-)

Check each part with your function statistic tool to find out the reconstruction times

for your repetitions do only surface repetitions

you have what graphics card

In the assembly each element must be constrained, once constrained you remove your constraints and fix the component

Use the speedpack of course

@+ ;-)

3 Likes