Configurations in solidworks

Hello

Does the multiplication of configurations in an assembly affect the performance of Solidworks (we are in 2021) as a new colleague seems to say?

For example, we have a general assembly with 8 configurations for 539,000 KB in 4 sub-assemblies.

Thanks in advance

Hello

Normally not. When one configuration is enabled, the others are disabled. The display speed depends on the number of active parts on the screen. I don't think recent versions of SW work any other way. 

Hello;
It all depends on your configuration management...

Suppose your assembly has no configuration: the size of its file will be "N" KB
If you have enabled the systematic saving of all your configurations (floppy disk icon in front of the configurations) then
Your file will weigh N x (the number of configurations) KB...
And this is also valid for the use of distinct configurations of a component in an assembly... (Tick icon in front of the configurations)

Kind regards.

1 Like

Hello, thank you very much for your answers

Hello;

Here is more information:

It's a video in English but, strangely, it does a better job of explaining what I laboriously tried to explain to you above:
Solidworks Forum:

https://3dswym.3dexperience.3ds.com_1530 - A Complete Tour of Configurations
Kind regards.

1 Like

Hello

As Maclane says, it all depends on how you manage your configurations. Where it becomes a good gymnastics for complex assemblies is to configure the parts, and these will be managed by the Assembly Configs. We can also introduce display states.

In addition, in the Ribbon, you can activate (in Toolbars, right-click in the Ribbon) two windows: the Configurations window and the Display State window.

This will allow for a view that is still relevant.

For Maclane: "the link above, does not send me to the address of the tutorial... "Am I the only one who can't see?

Thank you