Do you know Creo Elements Direct Modeling Express 4.0?

Hello

I came across this free 3D CAD software.

Has anyone ever tested their abilities?

What are its limits?

Is it practical, easy to use, useful?

Below is the link to the software page.

http://fr.ptc.com/products/creo-elements-direct/modeling-express/

S.B

3 Likes

Never heard of it but it looks quite similar to SketchUp with the copy/paste and push/pull them.

It's a light mode of Creo that should be great for concept studies. Maybe I'll test it at home^^

2 Likes

I know a little bit about what its predecessor was: SolidDesigner / CoCreate Modeling.

I don't know how the system has evolved, but compared to SW, it's really very different. It's not parametric. No design tree. Your part is plasticine.

For the assemblies, no constraints remain, it's just positioning. So there is no possibility to do movement simulations easily. No notions of configuration.

In addition, but here I think it's a choice of configuration of the box that uses it, the parts are all stored in the assembly. It's great for recording, there's only a 3D file. But suddenly the duplication that it generates is allussinant to manage!!! :s It's a bit like designing everything in SW in virtual parts!

Having 10 years of SW behind me, I didn't manage to get used to it. And I didn't need to either. Where I have the most trouble is the sketches.

That said, those who were forced to do so did so quite quickly with the advice of people who had been practicing it for years.

Namely that this software was the "logical" continuation of ME10 for those who know.

To know if it's for pro or for challenges ;-)

2 Likes

I have SW and Catia  the rest.................

SketchUp, Spaceclaim, draftsight.......... I tried I have trouble understanding how it works

I'm having trouble I'm formatted, but I didn't really get into it no + having another log

@+ ;-)

1 Like

Thank you for your answers.

It's not worth comparing with SW, I don't know him.

ME10: The first software on which I learned the trade (outside of school), yes I know, and on unix it never crashed.

I still remember the graphic tablet and the optical pencil.

On the other hand, I don't see how it's the sequel to ME10.

I installed it just to see.

The 2D system, on the contrary, I find it intuitive.

You draw a line, the angle and the length are displayed live.

On the other hand, from a recording point of view, there is nothing.

No export in a well-known format except for the stl.

For a pro use or on a challenge, no, I will feel too limited compared to my wildfire 5.

For those who want to invest in a 3d printer at home, why not.

For me, it was just curiosity, or maybe I was making some sketches on the go when I don't have the license at hand.

S.B

1 Like

The best of the best would be that it could work on a tablet

@s.b

Sorry to talk about SolidWorks. But I don't know Pro/E. Sorry.

I said sequel to ME10 because I think I heard that it was the same publisher originally.

ME10 I didn't know. But I know a great nostalgic of the system (when it suits him): @fifounet44.

As for the recordings, it may work like any other, on paid versions by type you want to export.

For the sketches, maybe it has evolved, but with the old one, even a poor undimensioned circle, I need 3 pellets to dig. Especially the sketch plan: you can't draw directly on one side! But it comes from me, others do it perfectly. Too formatted SolidWorks/Catia/SolidEdge!