Advice on using the forum

Hello to the forum alumni.

I'm new to this forum and I have a little dilem.

Helping others is normal but as we are on the forum where SW is in the majority, I wonder how  far we can or should help someone if it goes beyond SW questions alone.

If, for example, I receive an assembly where I see what seems to me to be several design errors or risk more or less failure on the design and then should we stick to the question asked (e.g. simulation) or can we continue the subject for example with a new title "design aid on banana bending machine".

Thank you for your opinions and recommendations :-)

1 Like

Hello.

Yes, the most often concerns Solidworks but I've seen a lot of other software like autocad, catia or rhino and others that I don't know at all.

After 2 solutions if you want to help/advise an improvement, it's to do it either in the person's answers or to send him a private message so as not to clutter the post.

Last week there was already one person who asked for design advice, and several people gave their opinion on it without it being a problem.

On the other hand, you always learn from the experience of others;) Even if it's not for the person who made the post, it can be useful to someone else.

Otherwise this forum is different in the sense that there is no classic section, the posts are one after the other with the new post or last answers at the top of the list.

Personally I don't like it too much but well... we get used to it

Otherwise Welcome to you :)

2 Likes

Hello

For my part, if I notice a problem on a design, I let it be known because it can help correct the initial problem, but if it's a question of reviewing the whole design and doing the job for the person, it's another story. We notice the people who have a problem and the others who would like to have their face the whole project....

2 Likes

Hello and welcome to you (although you're not that new and very active too)

For the part, I think that a forum is a place of exchange, sharing and learning. If your analysis and your experience allow you to help others even in their studies then don't deprive yourself of it but be careful, as ac cobra 427 says it's a question of "explaining" and not "doing in place of" otherwise it's useless...

Kind regards

2 Likes

ah yes not made gaf that it was our Zozo super active of the fofo XD

Of course it's not like those who ask their question in the title of their post and are looking for someone to do their job. like "give me your 3D so that I can present it to my teacher tomorrow... "   "whistles" :)

2 Likes

@ Zozo

Quote from a wise man

IF YOU GIVE A MAN A FISH,

HE WILL EAT ONE DAY.

IF YOU TEACH HIM TO FISH,

HE WILL ALWAYS EAT

LAO-TSEU

@+ ;-)

2 Likes

Thank you all (although there don't seem to       be many "all")

I'm going to try it out to see, I'm thinking especially of a few motivated young people who make mistakes due to lack of experience.

I hope I don't tell them too much nonsense but I'm counting on you :-)

To Plutarch ;-)

PS: Too bad we can't put several correct answers

2 Likes