Preserving general settings

Hello

My motherboard having gone to waste, it means a new machine and a new SW installation.

Only I lost all my customizations unless I find them in the hard drive I recovered (I always make a regular backup on the desktop)

Only problem I don't remember how this file is named to find it easily

What's it called :-)

Kind regards

Hello

Are you talking about user settings? The ones that allow you to save your shortcuts and your environment?

If that's the case, search the entire computer with the ".sldreg" extension

Hi zozo_mp,

For the name I can't help you but the extension is .sldreg 

1 Like

I'm not  sure but if  you have recovered your hard drive couldn't you copy the entire installation folder and replace the one of the new installation and thus also recover everything if you can't find the backup???

Thanks to @ac Cobra427 and @Gauthik67

That's what I was looking for, I got 95% back, that's always it. :-)

2 Likes

@ ac Cobra

No!!! everything on the C: disk is unrecoverable (thanks Windaub) indeed with the old machine I had stayed in W7 and only the latest version of W10 allows you to change machine without having to reinstall all the software.

You can't read a HDD that contains an OS because the new OS doesn't know how to do it (except apparently with the latest W10 version)

On the other hand, all the other data (including all the parts, and ASM files, were hot-mirrored on another disk that does not depend on the OS (it behaves like an external disk). In addition, I had made a back-up of this record of the work DATA (belt and suspenders)

So for SW I now point everything to the disk which is not C:

Like for example the backups every 10 minutes and also the .sldreg

Hello

Unless I'm mistaken, to read a HDD that contains an OS for data recovery, you can put yourself on a PC with a linux (or launch a liveLinux), you mount the HDD and there you take everything you want.

Kind regards

1 Like

Or put the HDD in an external USB box