Constrain the angle of a pivot with a fixed obstacle

Hello

I started on Solidworks, and I found myself confronted with an aesthetic problem. The cabinet I'm designing has several tilting trays, I want to make sure that the pivot of the first tray stops when it reaches the ceiling. Similarly with the last chainring, I want it to stop when it hits the floor.

Here is an illustration of my problem:

http://imageshack.com/a/img21/561/avu4.jpg

I tried to limit the angle from the angle constraints menu, directly, but I can't do it.

I would be grateful for any help.

1- You can rotate your tray manually with a colission detection with the cabinet.

Then when you constrain your pieces, you have the minimum limit angle constraint (e.g.).

You can repeat the operation with the other chainring, and you have the other rotation constraint.

2- Otherwise you draw a sketch, with your center of rotation, and the dimensions of the tops and cabinet. With a circle and 2 sketch lines and you have your max angle that you then transfer to your limit constraints. (see image)

2014-03-23_pivot.jpg
6 Likes

I would also lean towards the movement function with collision detection, (there are several options if I'm not mistaken, stop on collision, highlight parts...)

3 Likes

Hello

It seems to me that we can limit the angle of rotation on each pivot. But otherwise the solutions of my colleagues are very good

3 Likes

Hi @ dhia

in addition to the above answers

See this tutorial

http://www.lynkoa.com/tutos/3d/tuto-les-constraints-de-pivot

You have several options 

1. Stress Angle of Rotation
  2. stop at the colission with a beeping sound on an assembly

Be careful to place them in the 1st level of the assembly

@+ ;-)

3 Likes

See attached images Angle limit and travel travel parameterization

on the tutorial

http://www.lynkoa.com/tutos/3d/tuto-les-contraintes-de-pivot

@+ ;-)

capture_limite_dangle_contrainte_de_pivot.png

Are your boards independent or are they always parallel?

If it's the second case, you have to put an angle constraint by limiting the values on a single platter and a parallel constraint between this platter and the others.

If this is the first case, I don't see any constraint that really allows us to model the case.

THE detection of colliosion and a tool that will allow you to find the maximum angles

but it is resource-intensive, once these angles have been found it is better to use the advanced angle constraints (which allows you to limit the rotation between these two angles)

5 Likes

Hello

Limit stresses can be used (in advanced constraints):

http://help.solidworks.com/2013/French/SolidWorks/sldworks/t_Limit_Mates_SWassy.htm

You just have to be careful when entering the numbers, to respect an order: the maximum (2nd) before the current position (1st).

Thank you for your answers. 

Thanks to you, I am starting to see a little more clearly.

Pascal has put his finger on what is blocking. Indeed, the trays are always parallel, rods connecting them allow this to be done.

I think I have two solutions, which I can realize quickly:

1 - Collision detection. The general consensus is in favour of this solution, and so am I, since it is exactly what I want to simulate. Although PC resources are a luxury that I can't afford (Win XP 32 Bits, 2 GB Ram, 2.56 Ghz Dual Core).

2 - Constrain the rotation angles of the rods. I understand that limiting the angles in the mechanical stress pivot menu requires the specification of two surfaces that form the rotation angle.

Here is an illustration of the stems:

http://imageshack.com/a/img19/8392/0i9g.png

Can I use one surface of the rod, and another of the tray to set the boundaries?

@Gt22, I'm going to follow the tutorial, I already have to assimilate the behavior of the pivots from a geometric point of view.

@opie27, I want to understand more about the sketching trick. The assemblies I intend to create are simple mechanically but require you to know the rotation angles of each pivot. So my question is: After making the sketch, how do you measure the angle created by the construction lines? ( Should I use the measurement tool ) ?

Thank you for your help.

On my image, I've replaced the angle value with text.

But by drawing a horizontal line and a line to the intersection of the circle and the cabinet, you just take the value of the corner dimension and then transfer it to your constraints.

If all the boards are connected, when you move 1 of them the others will follow.

So if you do the manipulation to have the maximum angles on the 2 directions of rotation, then you just have to put a limit angle constraint on 1 platter.

This will simulate your high and low plate interference movement.

1 Like

@ dhia take a good look at the tutorial and you'll understand everything

there is nothing else to say

you have your assembly

tick colision detector a beep will wake you up as soon as your tray touches another element

so you'll have either your sides or your angles

It's up to you to set these limits in option pivots

@+ ;-)

Opiep27's trick is  to measure limit angles.

Otherwise, you create a coincidence constraint between your top plate and the surface that will serve as a stop.

You measure the angle.

you remove the constraint

You do the same thing at the bottom for the other angle.

You create a limit angle constraint between a plateau and a horizontal plane.

Normally that's it;)

3 Likes

Hello

The answer  of opiep27 for me is the right answer because you have everything you need to limit the angle of rotation!!