Coaxial stress, tangent

Hello, I have a problem with the 2nd long cylinder. I did coaxial constraint for the 2 long cylinders to put in the big then tangent constraint, works for the 1st but for the second one doesn't work "tangent constraint would over-constrain the assembly"

capture.png

Hello

Why Tangent? isn't it rather coaxiality?

Otherwise draw the axes and then the collinears.

May the force be with you.

3 Likes

Hello

You talk about this problem in the field of assembly or in simulation.

General Note

When you have a hole and an axis, you have to put a coaxial stress and not a tangent one. OR tell us why a coaxial.

If you have this message, it probably means that you already have a constraint on your pin. So remove one of the two (the first is often not the right one since you feel the need to put another).

Show an image of your creation tree, it will be simpler or put your assembly in a ZIP file for us to look at.

Kind regards

3 Likes

Hi @OBI WAN

I'm waiting! But I hope that the constraint is not to keep the rod at the bottom of the hole. In this case, the cut end of the spindle must be tangent to the surface of the large cylinder. And SW doesn't like it at all. this kind of constraint :-)

4 Likes

Hello

Why don't you make the temporary axes appear and use them to constrain your pieces together?  

2 Likes

The coaxial stress is to coincide the 2 cylinders and the tangent is actually to block it on the big cylinder. So, for the 1st it works but not for the second.

capture.png

You have to select the two edges, the one at the end of the spindle and the one at the through hole

Note that you could also do it on a point if you don't want the pin to protrude on the other side

Simple no!

contrainte_de_tangence.jpg
1 Like

In that case

large cylinder draws a sketch which would be the axis of the small cylinder in place.

in the assembly, constrain the end of this sketch with the face  of the small cylinder.

may the force be with you.

obiwan.jpg

Zozo_mp, I have already selected the edges of the pin and the hole, for the 1st it works, but for the second pin no. I'll zip the assembly, try to put tangent constraint on the 2nd, it won't work.

assemblage.rar

There are three ways to go about it and in all three cases it works perfectly

Edge on Edge

Edge on a plane or vertiacal plane be an inclined plane

Point on the pin and  tangency with the tibia cylinder

Point and central axis of the tibia with a dimension

Etc... Etc

contrainte_de_tangence_3_facons_de_faire.jpg
1 Like

As already said,

It 's a shame to create 10 different topics for questions that could be only in one and the same topic...

2 Likes

the simplest it seems to me as already said (for me)

is to show the axes and constrain them with a distance

endpoint pin axis on shin axis distance x to be repeated on all pins

After coaxiality

such as the answer @Zozo & @OBI WAN

@+ ;-)

2 Likes

Paf Pif Pouf

This comes from the way you build all of your pieces, which is unorthodox to say the least. You like to complicate your life :-)

1°) For the tibia, instead of making a sketch with a circle and an extrusion to the desired length, you make a thin function around an axis (not even a revolution which would have been the second possibility.

2°) for  oblique holes you make them with a material removal - revolution (it's not a big deal this way but good since the drilling assistant tool works like that) instead of making a hole from a plane.

From my point of view, it's not the 2nd that is causing a stir but the 1st with your slim revolution. On the other hand, I don't know why this way of doing things bananas the constraints.

Which version of SW do you have?

@ All

We can often discuss how to do it but surely because I have been wired machining in the workshop since I was a child and I always build my parts with removal as the machine would do (like a fitter or a miller) hence the sketches from the plans very often. I only use revolutions for the axes (like a turner).

On the other hand for additive manufacturing I have completely changed my method but that's another subject :-)  :-)

1 Like

Thanks for the answer, I'll try what you say. I have solidworks 2014.

No training, I'm really struggling

you should even be able to see the axes of the holes

tool bar at the very top

display/show hide/axis  (and axis temp if needed)

and you'll see all your axes

by having displayed your axes 

you'll just have to make coincidences

line spindle axis/ line axis pin hole on shin

After the endpoints

and c closed

@+ ;-)

1 Like

@ GT

the problem is not on the coaxiality whatever the method but on the tangency Edge => Edge or Edge = > surface to block the spindle slippage.

The PB comes only from the way it made the big cylinder.

Otherwise I tried four methods and all of them work normally if you build the big cylinder (the tibia) correctly.

In his way of assembling he over-constrained these parts several times (like two planes to avoid rotation) but it didn't come from there, even after cleaning up.

Its lack of training is a handicap !especially for pins in a tibia it's handicapping :-)

To constrain everything I used the temporary axes, the planes in the parts and I tangentized the face of the femur part with the edge of the spindle and it works very well.

assemblage.jpg
2 Likes

@Zozo I know I read your answer thread ;-)

but it is true by displaying the axes of each function

It's simpler for anyone

to put a coincidence

and side after the distance from the end points

at least it seems to me ;-)

@+ ;-)

I tried the technique of ac_cobra, by doing this, I managed to retract the cylinder but during the simulation, a problem. So, I'll review your comments and reassemble it, I'll keep you posted on Monday.