SW Magnetic Stress

Hi all

Is it possible, in an assembly, to link 3 parts at the same point of magnetic stress? 2 pieces no worries, but when I want to place the 3rd, the magnetic points of the first 2 pieces seem to cancel each other out... Have you had this kind of need and how to solve it? Thank you

Hello @fpecheur1

Well, no! 

Check that the three points are on the same plane or that they are not constrained on a plane that would not allow the desired constraint to be made between the three pieces.

Can you get even a partial picture of the three connection points.

Kind regards

1 Like

Attached is a diagram made on Solidworks 2022! :)

2020-05-19_10h10_38.jpg
1 Like

Hello

Very basic assembly from what I see.

What type of constraint do you use, knowing that there are at least two per room to remove all the DDLs.

Can you post your ASM with a pack and go or while waiting for at least an image of the creation tree with the constraints used. With the spider wire for the third piece (just select it).

Kind regards

Hello

I'm not sure that under SW2022 we can do anything since it doesn't exist ;) (typing error I don't doubt it, just for the joke^^)

What bothers me in your question is the "magnetic constraint" thermes generally used in 2D to attach to a grid but in no way freezes the part, or are you referring to assembly constraints, which is not the same thing?

Kind regards

2 Likes

Hello

Here is a video of magnetic constraints: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=me7gkUMl168

This is exactly what I am trying to do, it works perfectly as described in the video, however in this video the case where 3 rooms are connected to the same point is not shown (and does not seem to work). My question is just whether anyone here is using this type of constraint to do modular assembly quickly and whether they are facing the problem that I am experiencing.

No, I knew that in the case of a library room for example, that I constrain on the panel I want but that I still have to constrain on the other 2 axes. (as for the ground constraint of the video)

In any case, thank you for this video, it's interesting.

As for your problem, in any case your parts remain mobile (not fixed / fixed) if you try to move the sub-assembly, then you can change the point as you want, so if you pieces 1 and 2 don't move when you come to install the 3 it shouldn't be a problem, After seeing what if we move the 1 if 2 and 3 move too.

By the way, is there a master assembly that serves as a reference in this system? if we move it the others follow or are all the sub-assemblies at the same level?

I have to look under SW basic if it's available and do some tests.

Hello

You will notice that this type of constraint behaves a bit like the center of profile constraints which in reality include two constraints which are a point and a face.

If I repeat your drawing, the third piece has a point but has no face. If your point was on the corner of the second piece (or the first one it should work.)

I think it comes from something like this. For example, try to put new points on piece A and B but with a piece of face either on A or B or both.

Kind regards

Well from the little test I was able to do, it seems that the points only work 2 by 2, so it's not possible to have 3 on the same point.

By the way, when 2 pieces are connected together and you move the 3rd piece, the connection points already connected are not visible

The only solution after this is to create several points on the same piece.

By the way, as a matter of principle, avoid superimposing the secondary points, it will be more readable during the assembly. In my test I connected 3x the same room I just have a problem of orientation but it opens up perspectives as they say^^

Hello

Fpecheur1 talks about magnetic constraints.

You have to create a floor plan in the room to be repeated

Go to Tools -> Resource Editor

Create floor plan

and the different connectors

Create a floor plan on assembly in the same way

Enable Magnetic Constraints

Attached is an ASM

On the other hand, it's only for visual purposes, it's not blocked constraints

It is detailed here:

http://help.solidworks.com/2019/French/SolidWorks/sldworks/c_assy_facility_layout.htm?id=9d608514baa040ae8fc082ef31754ed7#Pg0

Kind regards

contraintes_magnetiques.zip

I hadn't seen that you wanted to put a 3rd piece, one of which is in the center of the other two.

No, it's not possible, the attachment point is always in the center of the stress face

you have to go through a standard constraint

see PJ

contraintes_magnetique_v1.zip
1 Like

Hello

Did our feedback solve your problem?

If so, please put resolved the feedback that helped you.  This will allow the person who has the same problem to find an answer quickly.

Cdlt