Convert a solidworks assembly to a step

Your surfaces must be closed.

You can use the "filled surface", "sew surfaces" or replace the face functions for this.

When your model is correct, use the sew surfaces function, logically Sw offers you to form a volume.

3 Likes

if there is still time,

For the motherboard, import it as an assembly and then turn it into a part.
With a bit of luck, there will only be a few parts that cause problems and it will be easier than correcting a monstrous surface.

3 Likes

For the motherboard, I was able to solve the problem with a colleague (thanks to top solid).

On the other hand, the software has been trying to create the step with the same options for more than ten minutes.

Make a copy of your assembly and give it another name or name the assembly test or create an extension

to you try assemblyXpert

To run AssemblyXpert:

1.  Click AssemblyXpert  (Assembly toolbar) or Tools , AssemblyXpert.

In the AssemblyXpert dialog box, the following icons indicate the status of each diagnostic test. In addition, BSPs;  Statistics about the components and constraints of the assembly are displayed.

Icon

State

Action

Successful

No further action is required.

Warning

Review the information and make any necessary changes to your assembly.

For information purposes

No further action is required.

1. Depending on the test and its status, you can click on the following tools:

Tool

Name

Description

Show these parts

Lists the affected components.

Enable Complex Assembly mode

Enables Complex  Assembly mode and updates AssemblyXpert.

Analyze and correct

Modifies the assembly to correct the problem.

More information

Displays a help topic.

1.  Click OK to close the AssemblyXpert.

Do you have in your rooms the blocking bar

https://youtu.be/nBOgDd5eSXg

It allows you to create the reconstruction of the parts more quickly since it only takes the external skin of the part as a ref

2 Likes

For large assemblies it happens that the computer works from 10 to 30 minutes depending on the size of the assembly. (heavy assembly with complex machine)

So we launch the conversions on an unused workstation or otherwise at noon or in the evening in hidden time.

Otherwise before saving it is sometimes useful to close sw to empty the memory (ram) and restart it before saving the step (less crash for us)

6 Likes

gt22 > I can't find AssemblyXpert (maybe deleted in 2016?). I installed the blocking bar on all the rooms, but will it change the recording time of the step?

sbadenis > I let it run last night so that it could save the step, unfortunately this morning I didn't have solidworks open anymore but an error message from it (following a bug and a closure of the software).

With the locking bar your parts are not completely loaded 

so reconstruction time + fast

Do a test via the evaluate tool and you'll understand what I'm talking about, it's amazing

Do you happen to have toolbox functions for holes tapped. screws etc.....

For Assembly Expert look in your tool options

Have you looked at the tutorial cited in my previous answer

the cleaner and faster your assembly is on SW the easier it will be to convert it ;-)

2 Likes

Yes, I watched the video tutorial and I blocked all my pieces.

Yes, I have toolbox functions for tapping. For the screws, they come from a custom bookcase.

For the performance evaluation, here is what it gives me:

"Previous Version References  The files for all components in the assembly have been updated to the latest version of SOLIDWORKS.

Network References   136 of 136  references are found via a network connection

Large Assembly Mode  The total number of resolved components in this assembly is 136, the complex assembly threshold is 500 components. Complex Assembly mode is disabled.

Mate  413 stresses are evaluated when this assembly is rebuilt.

In_Context Circular References  A report of the last assembly reconstruction is available. It shows the reconstruction time of the main components and functions.

Total number of components in mini-bottom-assembly    136
Pieces:     134
Unique Parts Documents:     74
Unique pieces:     64
Sub-assemblies:     2
Unique Subassemblies:     2
Unique Subassembly Documents:     2
Maximum Depth:     2
Number of first-level components:     91
Resolved Components:     136
Resolved Documents:     67
Lightweight components:     0
Components removed:     0
Hidden Components:     0
Virtual Components:     0
Envelope Components:     0
Number of bodies:     3889
Total number of assessed stresses:     394
First-Level Constraints:     290
Flexible Subassembly Stresses:     123
Note: Deleted subassembly components are excluded from these statistics."

I work on the network and not locally, can it influence the speed to convert to step?

Did you do the export without the motherboard?

Is the motherboard now a clean volume (I didn't understand what you had done/gotten with topsolid)?

Your assembly is not particularly large and should not be a problem.

Yes, if you work in a network, it's clear that the loss of lines due to the network slows down the job

Same if your libraries are on the network

Get rid of your flexible constraints

stefbeno> My motherboard is now a solid.

gta22 > I removed the flexible constraints. And I registered my assembly on the premises. I'll try to convert tonight.

I think the best is to record under a new song (as I indicated), but locally!

And then do the export in STEP.

.PL > I didn't manage to save in pieces, the software crashed.

I think it's a bug from the 2016 SP3 version that will be solved in SP4, you have to be patient!

On smaller assemblies (20 pieces maximum), I was able to do my step without any problems...

If you want we can try to do it, create a zip file of your whole parts and assembly folder and go to https://www.wetransfer.com/ to paratger it or you send the download link in a private message...

2 Likes

Yes, send your file, it will be much more meaningful for us;)

Professional secrecy, don't worry;)

2 Likes

if you can't already  register your assembly as a single piece on the premises

It's that you have a big problem

How do you expect Solidworks to be able to convert  to a step?

you must have some problems

which it is not easy to understand without the assembly and the parts

already I would remove all the bolts screw washer everything that comes from toolbox

you fix all your parts so no more constraint

but all this is indicated in the tutorial previously posted 

It remains to proceed by iteration:
- You talked about 2 subsets: does the export work for each of the 2?
- if one of the two crashes, try to export each of its components or the OS by deleting and then reactivating each of its components.
And so on until you find the one who makes the plant.

2 Likes

Hello

Have you tried to save your assembly in . SLDPRT and then in STEP.

This can be a solution.

Have a nice day.

1 Like