Convert dwg file to 3D on solidworks

Hello, I currently have DWG files and I let myself know that it was possible to convert them from 2D to 3D on Solidworks.

Hello, indeed there is a way. In solidworks you open a new part. you click on a reference plane and you insert DWG/DXF you then select the file you want to insert, you validate and then you find it on your plan (a little bit anywhere....) You select all the strokes and you right-click move the features. You move a point on the origin and then you can constrain your sketch and give it volume.

Kind regards

3 Likes

it is possible to model "quickly" by importing a dwg into SW but it will not happen by itself: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoYqtNgqLNA

SW's help on the issue: http://help.solidworks.com/2015/french/SolidWorks/acadhelp/c_Moving_from_2D_to_3D_Overview_AcadHelp.htm?id=b8af60e53dd7453eb6cb854ed8b57cc4#Pg0

1 Like

Hello

The tutorial is well done, but honestly have you already used this function?

22 min to make a U-shaped part with a light and holes is a bit long, maybe with more complex parts it's worth it, otherwise it looks more like a commercial argument to get customers who use 2D software  .

We have plans that have been made with this method or by retrieving the profile to make a revolution, as a result there are overlapping strokes so we have to use outlines or delete the strokes one by one to find the duplicates. In addition, some strokes (why?) have kept the color of the AutoCAD layer. 

Oh yes I forgot: you don't even have the ribs, you have to add them

My advice: open the map with your 2D viewer and copy

3 Likes

Hello Romain,

Indeed, the "2D to 3D" method is a commercial argument to make companies that were on Autocad switch to SolidWorks by making them believe that they could recover all the old work done with  Autocad "quickly" on SolidWorks. The reality is quite different. It's rather long to take over for simple pieces, it's very difficult for complicated pieces. Having all the views doesn't help that much, as long as the part is made of a mixture of prisms, cylinders, ...

Nevertheless, for some types of parts, it is worth a try; I'm thinking of parts that can only be defined with a single revolution or cases where several views facilitate modeling.

Knowing that one can use or reuse a sketch or part of the sketch for several different functions.

You have to try it on a case-by-case basis to find out.

3 Likes

I often use this feature to import sheet metal parts with particular cut-outs.

But it doesn't take me 22 minutes :D

Simply drag the dxf file into the Solidworks workspace, without having to create a new part.

Choose the settings, in your case, 2d sketch and not drawing.

millimeter etc... Then extrude the whole thing to create your 3d.

What does your project look like?

Thank you

dxg.png
2 Likes

Hello

I do every day the method that G.M. suggests to you and it works, on the other hand if the DWG or DXF is badly done example 2 overlapping lines, unclosed outline you can spend some time on it, but hey with sketching tool -> repair the sketch you get out of it easily.

Good luck.

Kind regards.

Fred

1 Like

Here is the 2D plan

kikikikikiki.png

I hope this will help you.

Kind regards

coffret_polyester.rar

in this particular case (trade-in of a commercial part), I would go to the manufacturer (in this case Legrand or Schneider) to load the basic part.

Otherwise, on the basis of this method, I prefer to start from the dimensioned plan, it allows to avoid forced dimensions and other joys that linger in 2D plans that have a bit of history...

At the very least, I copy and paste a sketch that I re-code in SW.

I thank you all I finally copied the lightened and extruded sides to keep only the outer sides

Thank you anyway for your help