"Convert" a symmetric entity into a true independent entity

Good evening everyone.

It's all in the title.

After fractionating a part to symmetrize it, I would like to find the operation to make this new product (fraction+symmetry) independent. For example, I don't want this body to be considered as "Symmetry of" but rather a new entity, created from the symmetry of a piece (but which does give a new distinct part).

I hope you know what I mean, I'm having a bit of a hard time explaining it.

Thank you!

Hueyman

2 Likes

Good evening

I cheat, I make a symmetry in the part and don't merge them, then I do a removal of material from the part that I don't want and save it under another name or I make a left and right config.

2 Likes

I know what you mean, but it can bring complications later, and doesn't allow you to have a clean job (it gets messy in the property manager) and each subsequent modification becomes a headache.

There must be a function that merges all the modifications (fractions, symmetries) and that re-edits a new part under a new no, but with all the properties of a body created directly as it is, right?

1 Like

I don't think you can create a Sym version of a part and have functions identical to the original part. But I could be wrong...

Good evening

The most effective method is to make the part symmetrical and break the link with the original.

To do this, INsertion/Symmetric Part (after selecting the symmetry plane)

then check on Break link (see image)

The 2 rooms are then completely separated.

4 Likes

Hello Alain,

In my house, this box is grey. I tried with 2 different pieces in different assemblies...

1 Like

@manu67: Weird, at home I have access to it all the time...

To give a 2nd solution  to your @Hueyman problem, if the symmetry is only due to one or 2 easily editable functions, you can duplicate your original file, then edit the function(s) and make an uncopied symmetry of these functions. For relatively simple parts, this works well.

2 Likes

Check out this help link

http://help.solidworks.com/2011/french/SolidWorks/sldworks/AllContent/SolidWorks/Core/Assemblies/HIDD_DVE_HIDD_DVE_MIRROR_SUBASSEMBLY_THIRD_PAGE.htm

1 Like

It's clear that it's weird... I really dig into it during the day...

Do you have symmetry with a sheet metal part? But two tests were just extrusions with drilling and fillets.

1 Like

@manu67: yes I did it with a simple part, a sheet metal part too. Be careful, I do "Symmetrical part ", not "Function symmetry".

1 Like

Yes I also use symmetrical piece... When creating it, I right-click on the symmetry and select all the options, but the option to break the link with the original part is not available...

Hello

By creating an assembly of your first part and making its symmetry in this assembly, it is possible to create it independently of the original part.

I made you a little tutorial.

I hope I have responded to your request.

Have a nice day.

symetrie_independante.pdf

Thank you all and especially to Mickaël!

Really great this forum!

Thank you again, have a good weekend!