Copy of library part when inserting them

Hi all

We're in the process of developing our 3D part library and I'd like that when we insert a part from our library it will make a copy of it.

Let me explain:

We do boilermaking, our plans are made to make raw parts which are then modified by the boilermaker at his post.

In our library we have placed the 3d of the crude. On the other hand, we can't leave the blanks as they are in the 3D assemblies (big interaction between the parts)

In my example file, the handle is prepared in rough, then adjusted to the pole by the boilermaker. (which I achieve in 3D by the fingerprint function)

So I would like to be able to have my stock in the library and when I insert this part in my assembly (via the design library) I am offered to save it allowing me to make my modifications without modifying my stock in the library. Do you know what this is possible? if or how

bibliotheque_cao.docx
1 Like

it seems to me that you just have to create 2 pieces

one raw and one

so you will have your 2 pieces

It's up to you to take the modified part for your assembly

and can have the same name and a sup or different extension

@+

Hello

I advise you to use the macro I created "Save As" available on Lynkoa:

http://www.lynkoa.com/tutos/3d/macro-enregistrer-sous-avec-solidworks

This allows you to have a copy with the following parameters in one click (it may take little adaptation, but it's worth it).

Another solution could be to have all the pieces of the library as a single reader, so it is impossible to modify them and don't forget to make a copy!

Finally a tutorial on the subject:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=cCAZV22_OjI

Hello

We proceed in the same way as we put the material removal in the assembly. The part is modified in the assembly but when you open it remains raw.

For the answer of GT22 it works but there will be a lot of modified parts because they will not all be identical the modified parts

Hello

And having several configurations in your file would not allow you to have, for example:

• raw tone in default config
  • V1 machined part in config n°2
  • V2 machined part in config n°3
  • V3 machined part in config n°4

etc etc ......

So you insert your part into your assembly from your library and it will open a window asking you to choose the desired configuration.

1 Like

@Manu: this is also a solution that is used but not all functions are possible in the assembly, e.g. the imprint function which is only available for parts. And given the complexity of the shapes, this function is very practical. (we're on the 2013 version)

@gt22: that's what I want to do but I'd like to "automate" the creation of the copy.

@TicTic: not possible because it would quickly make parts with more than 100 config and hello the hassle;)

@.PL: I didn't think about the management with the lock in drive only... Being the admin of the bibli, I have write access, I'm going to test this;)

1 Like

In case you have put no need for the impression function if you take the tube plan to do your material removal, it works.

Hello

Have you tried inserting your library piece (read-only) into another room as a derivative piece?

Kind regards

1 Like

I also created a macro for read-only to note the library, it works like a switch:

If the document is read-only: 

- the macro removes the read-only mode,

- Reloads the coin to have write access.

If the game is read-write, the macro:

- puts back the read-only mode,

- Recharges the room for read-only access.

And all this with a single button:

http://www.lynkoa.com/tutos/3d/macro-solidworks-retirer-lecture-seule-pour-fichiers-de-bibliotheque

I see that we are doing a bit of the same thing. I don't know if I know this trick. I'll send it to you in case it could be useful to you...

astuce_pour_deplier_un_fer_rond.pdf
1 Like

Hello

The CloneComponents utility of myCADtools allows you to do this, before inserting, you can choose whether to duplicate the part in another directory, create it as a virtual file or use it from its original location. Attached, a screenshot

Have a nice day

Mick

1 Like

Hi Mick,

It's exactly what I was looking for.... ;)

On the other hand I see/guess that on your screen print we can manage the assembly too... For my part I only see the parts and no way to find an option to file the assemblies.

Hello

Given your screenshot, you don't use myCADtools 2016, unfortunately, it's only compatible from this version.

Please note that you must be in SOLIDWORKS 2016 to use myCADtools 2016

Have a nice day

Mick

1 Like

Ok that's why it's 2013.

Thank you for the feedback