Copy/Move along a curve

Hi everyone

Is it possible to move a volume body along a curve without having to use the "curve-driven repetition" tool, which creates copies?

I'm on SW 2017

Thanks in advance!

Are you in an assembly?

1 Like

No, I'm on a part file

1 Like

Indeed, we would have to know if we move a part in an asm or a body in a part.

In the first case, it is the trajectory constraint.

In the second, the displacement of bodies is basically done between 2 points or by rotation. Depending on the shape of the body, basic constraints can be used.

1 Like

so you take the driver by a curve and

you remove the refs that are useless to you

@+ ;-)

1 Like

gt22=> I use this function quite a bit, but for my part I repeat bodies most of the time, and there we can't use "occurrences to be omitted" if that's what you're talking about^^

stebfeno=> indeed on an assembly it's a solution but on a part file the available constraints don't allow to recreate the conditions for a real displacement along a curve, as for translation and rotation it's too basic

yes it was indeed occurrences to be omitted that I was talking about

@+

But suddenly I can't use it when I repeat a field only functions :/

For the time being, I would say that moving bodies to simulate a movement is not an optimal method. It's so much easier to do an asm.

There is one possibility left: do a repetition with 2 as the number of occurrences and remove the excess body (i.e. the first one).

1 Like

Hello, if it is a multi-body part, you can ungroup the bodies with the split function and automatically create an assembly (you will still have to place constraints). It would be easier to simulate a move...  

1 Like

So I think there's a mistake, I don't want to create a motion simulation, only move a body along a curve, without creating a duplicate, because otherwise I know the function to use! :)

To be more precise, I'm in the jewelry business and I work a lot on necklaces, and I need to move elements along the neckline, when I know that I'm moving an element only once it's not a problem, I copy it and delete the original, but most of the time I'll move my elements dozens of times before I have the final placement, because creating a repeat each time and then deleting the duplicate, it would considerably lengthen my files with construction trees longer than the A13.

I was just wondering if there was a viable manipulation.

a.leblanc=> can we directly create an assembly with the volumes positioned as on the part file? I know that's not the heart of the question but I'm curious to know how ^^

2 Likes

With the constraints in assembly you can do what you want

+ you have the possibility to move a room with your mouse manually if it is not blocked

you're talking about + necklace

so we imagine that each piece is different

so you will also have your list of parts

@+ ;-)

1 Like

Hello Floppy,

Watch this tutorial:

http://www.lynkoa.com/contenu/cr%C3%A9er-des-fichiers-pi%C3%A8ces-et-un-assemblage-depuis-une-pi%C3%A8ce-multi-corps

2 Likes