Copy Project

Hello

A quick question to get your opinions and feedback.

When you have similar projects, how do you go about copying the projects? What methodology do you use and why?

1 Like

Hello

When you say similar projects, do you imply that the projects have common or close parts?

After to copy a project the windows explorer works fine, just go and get your new folder with inventor, that's it for the methodology used after why "because it's the easiest".

That's it for now, but if you could clarify your question I could probably say more.*

Kind regards

Bastien

2 Likes

Hello Bastien,

Yes, it can be in the case where parts are common or in any case, that the base is close. It implies that I want to keep the same base by slightly modifying a few parts, or/and by making strong changes to parts.

But in any case, I want to have independent projects. If I modify a part of project B, no impact and modifications on the same part of project A (which is no longer the same of course).

By the way, in the same order, I'd also like to have feedback on change management. For example, do you keep the history of changes (hinting, etc.)? What methodology do you use?

Okay so indeed the project is quite independent after in the idea the best in my opinion is to choose a numbering of parts according to the project, the primary type, and an index (e.g. project 450 pieces type linkage 200 and index 1 so 450-200-1).

After I don't use the history but because I don't need it but afterwards it represents an interest, depending on the use, the complexity of the assemblies processed and the number of users (designers).

I think you could use it and after a while you could know if you find it interesting or not.

corially

Bastien

Hello

The simplest, fastest and most efficient way to be s^r not to forget components, or not to duplicate components from the library is to use an electronic safe (PDM) type tool that will manage the entire duplication and the project in its formatting.

E-PDM allows for example to integrate Autocad, Inventor, MS Office or SolidWorks files.

Other "Vault" systems allow  me to do more or less the same kind of thing.

Kind regards

1 Like

Hello

We use an Axemble utility called Project Manager that allows you to copy an assembly by modifying the references to the new assembly.

Hello

using Vault (which comes with Inventor) is great for this kind of thing.

It offers the copy of the whole, we choose for each element that composes it if we want to reuse the same piece or make a copy of it.