Thread Dimensioning in MEP

Hello

I'd like to use the dimensioning tool to dimension threads in drawings  as well as for taps.

Indeed, with a part whose thread representation is well informed at M30x1.5, the dimension in the drawing is Ø30.

Is there a solution to file M30x1.5?

Hello

I've already had this problem, not making very much threading, I manually change the "<MOD-DIAM>" insignia to "M" when you click on the dimension.

On the other hand, indeed the tapping puts it automatically.

capture.jpg

Hello

Yes, using in the Annotation tab click symbol for drilling.

Good luck

1 Like

Hello

The "Piercing symbol" tool will give you all the info about your piercing, all you have to do is sort it out ;-)

percage.jpg
2 Likes

Hello

At the same time, here is an overview of the Property Manager.

As @Dahu said, all we have to do is clean up.

percage.jpg

For a thread not a tap, in the MEP right-click on the thread and click on insert a symbol.

Edit:

The result:

6 Likes

Hello

Thank you for the answers.

Drill symbol does not work on threads, only on holes.

Manually filling in the "M" information is a solution, but the idea was above all to automatically retrieve the thread pitch to avoid any errors.

The person who makes the drawing is not necessarily the designer and if he does not pay attention to it and the  thread has a particular pitch, there will be a mistake.

Right-click on the thread (blue part in  the image on my post above) and click on insert a symbol.

The notation is automatic (not done manually) so the step is that of the function.

2 Likes

Thank you for your answer sbadenis

It works, the rating should just be indicated in a slightly more standardized way.

I think we can personalize the text, but I don't really know where and how.

I thought I'd do it too, but I never took the time.

Indeed the rating is not great but it is the only current way.

Hello

I have the same problem as Nicola, when I want to dimension a thread (with intelligent dimensioning) solidworks shows me the bottom of the thread dimension! 

For example, if I click on a representation of an M16x1.5 thread, solidworks shows me a dimension Ø14.34 (see image).

I tried to right-click on the thread but I don't have the "insert symbol" option.

I am working in 2012, what would anyone have a solution to my problem?

Thank you

image_1.png

Hello

Have you displayed the hidden edges? Because here I don't have the impression of seeing the representation of the thread... If you display them there, you can click on them and insert a symbol...

If you have used the drilling assistant in 3D, we must use in the MEP "symbol for drilling"!!

One does not go without the other, and you get all the information about the drilling-tapping, including the number in automatic !

(that's how we go towards plans with zero manual info in them, all automatic).

The flaw of Solidworks is that you are forced to put the dimension in the MEP on a top view of the drilling.

Then, if in the 3D function , we have checked "with associated text",

You can use "insert symbol" on a cross-sectional view of a thread, you get a partial detail of the drilling-tapping data, but it can be enough (and yes it is a text that seems manual, yet it is in automatic, so do not edit it).

We can also use this last method, to put a male thread in 3D using the "database" thread, then call the info in the plane, so we come back to no manual in the MEP, all down from 3D.

And when you quote with "symbol for drilling" in MEP a sheet metal type part,

The code for depth info <hw-thru> should be removed to reduce the display (and remove "through all" or "until the next one",...)

Because it is implied that it is through the sheet metal type part.

And when we have a decimal point, we can choose to round the decimals only on this value thanks to the "value of the associated text" box.

Thank you for your answers but I still can't solve my problem!

To create my thread in my 3D part, I go through Insertion/Annotations/Thread representation (see photo) and I fill in the information about my thread.

Then in my MEP I would like to be able to retrieve this information automatically.

Is this possible?

Thank you

photo2.png

Here's how to do it, but the answer has already been given...

representation_de_filetage.docx

I think the problem must come from my version of solidworks because when I right-click on the thread I don't have the option "insert a symbol".

Thank you for your help.

photo3.png

What version do you have???

2012 SP1.0

You have to do it on the top view, on the side view, it doesn't work for thread representations.

1 Like