Configurable Dimension

Hello

I have a piece that I insert quite often in my assemblies. There's just the length of this piece that differs. I would like to know if it is possible, when I want to insert my piece, that I can only change the length dimension.

For example, on the attached screenshot, I want my rating of 6000 to be configurable.

Thank you.

Capture d’écran 2024-09-04 172416

Hello Nico_MPLS_28,
Yes it's possible, but I advise you to make configurations, which will allow you to differentiate them in assemblies.
There you go, I'll give you more details tomorrow ...
@+.
AR.

3 Likes

The only way to be able to change the 600 rating without first creating configurations is to make the virtual component.
On the other hand, it is not possible to plan a virtual component.

To do this, insert the part, right-click on the component, then make it virtual and finally change the dimension of 600 with the desired value.
If necessary, inserting it again and making the new component virtual is possible with a different dimension from the 1st.

5 Likes

Otherwise, Use the Configuration Publisher...

https://help.solidworks.com/2022/french/SolidWorks/sldworks/c_configuration_publisher_top.htm?id=7c7f7d54d9064742b670ea46b83bd5ff#Pg0

https://help.solidworks.com/2022/french/SolidWorks/sldworks/r_models_single-row_design_tables.htm?id=e35bcfb765a148e988ca8d561f57e16a#Pg0

The downside is that a new configuration will be created for any new values...
The advantage is that you won't have to create all the configurations imaginable right away (you can set limits to this rating or leave it free...)
The new distance will be requested each time a new assembly is inserted, but it remains accessible thereafter.

5 Likes

Hello

I also have this problem for the lengths of profiled aluminum. Always forced to create new configurations at the slightest variation...
The same goes for the ball diameters, but they are already a little more standard, which is still much less configuration than for a profile whose length is unique to each project...

For my part , @sylk as mentioned for the profile purchased from the store to the length systematically I take the piece of the store in the library, which I make virtual.
Personally, it's what I found with my colleagues to be the easiest to manage.

2 Likes

You're probably right @sbadenis , but as you said, it unfortunately has its limits. :confused:

1 Like

Yes @Sylk but it's the only way not to generate a room with 100 configurations and impossible to open due to its heaviness.
The only limitation is that it is not possible to make an MEP of the virtual room.
On the other hand, it is possible to put it in an assembly and make a plan of it.

1 Like

Thanks for the tip. Indeed, for the moment it is the solution that suits me best