Colour of parts in drawings

Hello

When we make assembly instructions with the Solidworks drawing, we often have more than one sheet.

In my old box, in order to make the instructions more readable and to differentiate more easily the part concerned at a given phase of the instructions, we colored it on the sheet concerning it for assembly.

On the next page, it turned black again, which was preferable since this news was no longer about her but another piece to be assembled.

Since I've been in this company, even though at the time in SW2014 (as in my previous company) and now 2017, the part whose color is changed, stays in this color on each step of the manual, so on each sheet, which in the end doesn't make the manual more readable, but it ends up looking like a good Christmas tree... ^^.

Does anyone know how to solve this problem? is it in the SW options that we modify this?

Cdt.

Also, I specify that we change the color by the layers.

For me, layer management has always worked "common to all sheets"

and therefore the coloring by assigning a PRT or ASM...

is it during the SW 2010-2012-2014 evolutions etc... that a bug has been dragged?

Was it done "cleanly" or by overwriting the files and the registry? And using the SLDREG file to retrieve the settings?

There is a quick and simple test to check if the problem comes from the registry:

from memory, in Windows: type run "regedit" then in HKEY_CURRENT_USER/software/

it is the "solidworks" folder that is temporarily renamed by adding a text of your choice,

then we launch SW (there is the first use popup), and we retest the problem to see if it is gone.

If still the same problem is still present, we close Solidworks (we check the Windows processes), then we go back to the registry, in the same place as mentioned above, and we notice that Solidworks has recreated a "new" registry folder.

So we delete this new "registry folder", then we remove the "word" add in the folder, to return it to the original state.

Hello Olivier, thank you for your answer,

the installations and uninstallations were done in a clean way, and I only knew 2014 here before 2017, I reinstalled my station even in 2016 still under SW 2014 and my layers already at that time were linked to all the sheets. there is only the previous box where it was different, maybe a manipulation in the register... I'll try to dig deeper... Cdt.

Maybe they were using a layer management "third-party tool"?

I don't think it's worth searching the registry for that, in the system options, or document options, I haven't seen anything to be able to do that.

I really don't know, I have in mind the same visual of the layers, nothing seemed different to me...

Hello

Otherwise you can make display states for your MEPs

1 Like

Hello

After checking, the only way is to go to the line font of the component and apply a layer to it (right-click on the component and then the line font of the component). You have to uncheck "Use the default adjustments of the document" then at the bottom of the window check "From selection" and finally select a layer.

Quickly testing on SW2016 the component changes well to another color only on the selected view. On the other hand, it doesn't only happen at the level of layer management and I didn't see anything in the document options to make this behavior become the "normal" mode of operation.

Hello Cyril,

Well no, I had tested it too and I just re-tested again, at home, on SW17 in any case, everything goes the same color, as well on all the views of the same page as the other pages .. Also if I change the color of my component by this method, that I de-select my component, click on it again, it is well taken into account by the management of layers indicating its color, unlike you if I understood correctly... I also checked in the options and found nothing about it and yet our 2 SWs work differently ...

Yes there are display states too, it's true Cobra... which I don't use very much.

I'm testing SW2018, I'm going to check the behavior.

But I had trouble unlinking the application on all the views or on the current selection on the 2 sheets. There seems to be an order in the actions to achieve the result (a bit like aligning a reference with a rating of Ø without it systematically coming back to the same side as the rating - on SW2016)

Ok, thank you, hoping you find something ;) on the other hand I am on SW 2017. To everything 

Well, I just tested it on both 2016 and 2018.

For each view of each sheet you have to select the component and set the "Apply to:" option of the component 's line font dialog box to "From selection" and confirm by clicking on Ok.

If you leave on "All views", as soon as you edit the line font if you exit by clicking on Ok with this option active it updates all the sheets.

It's a bit of a hack but it's the only way I see because as soon as you apply a layer to a component it spreads to all the sheets. Are you sure that in your old company you were just changing the layer?

2 Likes

Ok Thank you cyril it works nikel,

it's sure that this is not how I proceeded.... Formerly ^^ in 2014, we worked with the layer bar, but it works, you just had to read the possible options. Thank you! :)