Creating a relative link for a parameterization table in CATIA

Hello

In CATIA, I have a small problem with link management with a parameterization table.
In my product, the link to the parameterization table is absolute, a complete link that requires you to specify where the excel file is located. Result: when I pass my product to a colleague, to run my model, it is necessary to recreate the link of the parameterization table.
Is it possible to indicate the link of the parameterization table in a relative way? In other words, how can I tell CATIA to fetch the excel file from the current directory of the CATIA product? This would allow me to exchange my model without having to recreate the link of the excel file each time?
Thank you in advance for your insights.

Or put the link of the model on a network accessible to all.

1 Like

Hello

@ +1 sbadenis (for colleagues). 

For the outside, simply check the box duplicate data in the CATIA model.

All configurations are therefore available without the need for the Excel table

Note: from CATIA, you can also recreate the Excel or txt table from this data.

The only limitation I see is if you use more than one sheet in the Excel table (only the data of the sheet associated with the parameters is copied).

1 Like

Super Franck. That's already a solution.

On the other hand, to overcome the limitation you mention, wouldn't there be a solution of the type: entering a particular line of code in the path of the link of the parameterization table.

In other words, to do what is done with programming software, i.e . to enter a line like currentdirectory\nomdufichier.xlsx in the path of the parameterization table In this way, the software (in this case CATIA) will look for the table in the current folder where the product and the parts have been stored.

Does it bring you new ideas?

Thank you in advance for your feedback.

Good evening

currentdirectory\nomdufichier.xlsx. In this way, the software (in this case CATIA) will look for the table in the current folder where the product and the parts have been stored.

There is nothing to develop this feature is in the options of the catia tab "General" / "document".

What is called the (search order)

Set to Yes "Dossier du document pointant" : Provides the current folder of the document.

CATIA will look for the table in the folder where we have the product and where the shares are.

Note: my first answer is to send the file for consultation without the table, it's easier if the person to whom you send doesn't have to modify the data.

1 Like

Great You answer my question perfectly.

I had the option on but I probably wasn't using it.

So, if I understand correctly, since my option was engaged, I just have to put in the link only the name of the excel file and it should work.

See you soon

No, there's nothing to do.

All you have to do is send the Excel file and the Part - Product to the same folder.

If the option is enabled and before the "Link Folder" option, CATIA starts looking for the parent links in the location where a file is opened.

We don't back up locally (on the station) and we prefer not duplicating data, so we work on a server.

As a result, we have in the order of search parent links: (extract from the CATIA help)

Link Folder: The absolute path saved in the link, such as the path used to save the document.

Pointing Document Folder:  The current folder of the document.

Relative Folder: The subfolder with the same starting path. 

Other Folders: A user-defined list of folders. (server folders).

For your need

If "Pointing Document Folder" is in the lead, CATIA starts there. If it can't find the Excel file in the folder, it moves on to the next option.

Edit: it's up to your colleague to change this option since it's on his station that the child file doesn't find the Excel file in the same folder.