Creating a Set Against a Scanned Part Imported into Solidworks

Hello

Let me explain my problem: I have a part that has been scanned and then imported into Solidworks. So far it's perfect, I have a very faithful representation of the object I scanned with about 2000 faces.

I then wanted to make a custom-made mobile bit / fixed jaw system that allows you to take the exact shape of the object when the bit is in the closed position. This step was also validated by making an intersection between my object and a volume, I got what I wanted.

However, I'd like to add some thickness between the bits and the object. And that's where my problems start, I tried different techniques including thickening the surfaces of my object, trying to create staggered sketches and making a smoothed surface but nothing works...

I've been stuck on this point for several weeks. I need help.

Hello 

if you want us to help you

post your File 

have you done a recognition of function

Your piece should be on the surface with a few blue lines

so you'll have to sew the sides to get a volume

then I think you'll be able to realize 

What you want

@+

2 Likes

Sorry, here is the file scanned and worked to get the volume you are talking about.

No, I didn't do function recognition but yes I made a seam on the faces to obtain volume.

I'll let you check for myself, I'm working with Solidworks 2017 sp2.

Thank you for your help

ok I have your part but I don't understand what you want

I want to "simulate" an over-thickness in this part.

As I explained in my first post, I would like to add a protective film between this part and the jaws that I made to measure from this part (via the intersection function) having a thickness of the order of a few tens/hundreds of microns. 

To do this, I thought of adding this extra thickness directly to the part that I use to make my jaws. It may not be the right way to do it, but it's the only way I found to achieve what I wanted to do. 

Hello

I don't know what @gt22 thinks ;-) But it would be easier to create a part whose thickness would be equal to the protective film.

This way your bite and your part would remain the right size for your MEP.

On the other hand; I'd be curious to know how you put your protective film on your part and how you can be sure that the film will make the right thickness everywhere: because you're still talking about precision to the micron, so the film itself shouldn't induce a centering defect, etc...

Kind regards

your problem comes

of your base area

It looks like a patchwork rug

each time you only take a mini surface

We should make sure that we have only one and only surface for the whole

A maximum of surface jobs to manage the junctions between each surface and bring them together in a single

@+ ;-)

1 Like

Thank you both for helping me .

I worked on my jaws instead of working on my scanned part using the offset surface function.