Creating a Profile Database

Hello 

I am looking to create a database of standardized profiles for welded assemblies on CATIA, so that I can reuse them and only have to extrude them on guide lines. I found this procedure online: 

https://cao-3d-pro.com/dassault-catia/dassault-copie-optimisee/dassault-catia-copie-optimisee-creer-chassis/

on the other hand, CATIA does not recognize my profiles (which are in . CATPart, extruded sections of 1mm thickness) as documents to be imported. I know that on Solidworks you can create mechanically welded assemblies using standardized profiles in the . SLDLFP . I converted them to . CATPart but as I say CATIA does not accept them. 

Anyone have an idea of how to create .part that can be used as a document to instance? 

Thank you in advance. 

Hello

Why not look for a library in DXF or DWG format. These would normally be usable...

1 Like

See this tutorial

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbzKiwUEVUo

@+

3 Likes

Hello.

The . CATPart is the CATIA V5 file, a conversion of a SolidWorks file could only get you a Solid and a few wireframes if taken into account in the conversion.

Optimized copies can actually meet your need , it's a mechanism for reconstructing a design sequence in the same or a new environment, for this it is necessary that the elements (functions) have a CATIA construction history, especially parents, as in your case (the parent construction line of the extrusion direction of the profile).

If you have recovered a solid, it is very easy to import its outline into a sketch.

Another way: as the link to @gt22 have the "Structure" module points out, it is made for this and must rely on a library of standard and custom profiles, as for SolidWorks. (I don't have this module).

Edit: I looked at the procedure it shows how to create the skeleton (the structure of the chassis) but does not show how to create the optimized copies (standard profiles, nor the catalog to access them).

On this point I can help you under which version of Catia is you.

Re-EDIT, not woken up this morning, the procedure is next to it, so with this you have all the info, just to simplify, there is a "thicken" option under the pocket extrusion functions, etc, this avoids drawing the double lines of the profiles (when they are at constant thickness of course).

2 Likes

Hello, it seems to me that you can insert solid shapes (such as square, sphere, ...   without sketching) directly from the insert menu, and then use the pocket function.