Creating a cable element (mechanical) in a library with 1 configurable length

Hi all

I am taking advantage of this period to better master SWK and expand my library. In order to simplify and save time in the drawing of cable elements, I am therefore calling on you to find how to format it in the library.

In terms of cable closures, I have several possible configurations at 2 ends: free end, sleeved loop, closed loop with cable ties with/without lugs. Between the 2 ends, I have either a simple extrusion, or a scan depending on the configuration. Attached is an example with lug + cable ties.

To date, I use 2 techniques to draw (without using the library):

- or I duplicate a ready-made cable assembly and modify it. So I end up with 1 file per cable

- or I have a sub-assemblies with only the ends and the different configurations. I draw next to it just the free part with 1 file for all linear lengths (part family) and/or 1 file per part for the sweeps. My "cable" is therefore not of a single length but composed of ends.

Today, I would like to integrate this into the library for the drawing of cables. Which solution do you think is best (not necessarily with current techniques?); knowing that I define the length directly by hand and/or the routing via an assembly sketch for implementation in structures.

Thank you for your help

fermeture_de_cable.png

Hello

For me, to put it simply, I would only put the cable ends in a library, and the strands separately in pieces as you do now.

That's a good continuation.

@+.

AR

2 Likes

Thank you for your feedback,

This is indeed what I also came up with when looking at families of parts, intelligent components.... but as I'm not an expert, it doesn't cost anything to consult;)

1 Like

According to SW version 

I'll try via piping

flexible or rigid tube

and the ends as fittings 

(te, elbow, etc....)

with the same type of constraints as piping

@+;-)

3 Likes

We have 1 SWK Pro and 1 SWK Prenium (for the elasticity sim). I didn't know about it, I'll look into it;)

Thanks for the info

@+

Smart components drop too many bugs...

2 Likes

ok, good to know

1 Like

As @AR says

yes it's a shame

that we can't  work properly

with smart components

It works well but in small doses ;-)

@+

1 Like

Or alternatively, a component with a base length in the library and then make it virtual and change the length in the assembly.

And for the designation make the cable length equal to a sketch and the linked.

The advantage is that if you start from an assembly and copy it, no need to be careful, you can directly modify your cable lengths which are only related to the assembly. And otherwise you start from the library room, so always the same base.

3 Likes

I'll test all the solutions so I'll see the most practical and fast.

Thank you

1 Like