Creating closed corners in sheet metal

Hello

That's it, I sketched a chimney hood I converted the whole thing into sheet metal. I want to make folds on the edge at the bottom of the hood of about 50 mm.

First small problem:

When I add the bend and I put an angle of less than 90° it tells me that it's not possible, so I get around the problem by putting a parallelism constraint on one face (the horizontal return of the hood)(Is it a bug or not?)

Second problem (not solved):

When I converted to sheet metal I noticed that the sheets no longer had the same lengths, so when I add my folds at the bottom, it is impossible for me to add closed corners, and I can't solve this problem, I tried to remove the excess material (sketches and material removal), I can't create creases on the edge anymore afterwards.

If anyone has a solution, it would be welcome

Thank you for your help

hotte_desaxee.sldprt

Hello;

I see that you are a beginner in sheet metal work and I will try to help you as much as I can.

I will address the issues in order.

The first is not a first one, that's quite normal. To make your angle close, you need to enter an angle greater than 90°.

In your case 110.368°... and wheelbarrows. Constraint with a horizontal face is the correct technique. So no bugs.

For your second problem, you should know that to use the "closed corner" function, the folds must be on the same sheet metal, that's one thing, and must share a corner.

In your case, if I understand correctly, you want to use this function on multiple sheets at the same time. That's not possible.

The only way to close the corners on a "multibody" is :

- To make the folds, one fold per function

- To adjust the one on the front with an offset (3 mm) because yes there is a problem with the length of the sheet metal

- Then to "edit the profile of the folded sheet" in the different functions of folds on edges.

Why didn't you design your hood directly with the sheet metal module, without going through a conversion?

Nothing better than the example piece, I don't give it back to you modified.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate.

And I invite you to follow the sheet metal tutorials included in Solidworks which are very good to start with.

Good luck =)

hotte_desaxee_0.sldprt
5 Likes

Hello Bart,

Thanks for help,

I'm just starting out so I have a lot of problems to get there.

I wonder why my sheet lengths change when I transform my volume into sheet metal. Thank you for the modified piece, however the folds are external (which is not a big deal). I tried to redo the example but I must be missing something, because I didn't understand your notion of "- To make the folds, one fold per function" (that's what I do, at least I think).

How do you know the offset value of the sheets when they do not have the same length knowing that they are not on the same plane.

In any case, your answer gives me some elements to move forward in my learning of Solidworks

Sylvain

Ps: I'm going to try to redo the part by going directly through the "Sheet metal" module (it's not easy, lol)

I've been there.

I started as a draftsman in a self-taught sheet metal company.
So believe me, I've experienced the problems =)
But by dint of perseverance, you achieve your goals, and each trade
to his little tricks to get around the small problems of Solidworks.

The logic of this software is as it is, necessarily the same as ours...
The number of times I tore my hair out, to understand why this or that function didn't want to work... The key is to know the limits of Solidworks, so that you don't waste your time trying impossible things.

In short, "It's by Solidworking that you become a Solidworker"^^
There's no reason why you can't do it.

I'll try to be as clear as possible.

I think that your problem with lengths comes from the fact that Soldiworks cannot cut the edge of a sheet metal at an angle and on your part, when you look down, the edges on the front are at an angle.

What I do know is that during a conversion, the parameters to be adjusted (the direction of the body, the bending radius according to the thickness of the sheet, the notching, etc.) are important to get to the part you want.

Personally, I avoid going through conversions, except in the rare cases where the client sends me a volume that is already drawn and a little complicated.

In general, I advise to reproduce the part identically directly with the sheet metal module.
All you have to do is follow the dimensions that the customer gives, on his sketch or plan and look for the easiest way to bend the sheet.
The least drops, multibodies, welding, etc.

For the offset value, I edit the
Folds on edge, and I put myself for example on the right plane, and I look by eye
It's a bit of a DIY, but like I said, that's not what I advise.

Here is an image that illustrates the converison of the edge at an angle and another joint that shows the bend functions.

plusieurs_plies.png
2 Likes

Thank you for all this information

I tried and finally managed to do something interesting.

A little thanks to you.

Good luck