Create a texture around an object

Hello,  I would like to create a "texture" tape wrapped around the spokes of my steering wheel, as in the attached photo, how can I go about it?

I would like it to look good so that I can print my steering wheel using a 3D printer.

Thank you in advance.

volant.png

Texture in photo

20200503_130252.jpg

Hello

If I understood correctly, you want to be able to print a steering wheel with reliefs?

Cdlt

Yes with the reliefs of the photo, as if the branches were surrounded by black tape. but I can't model it on solidworks, I don't know how to do it....

It is possible I think  by a surface  sweep of the helix and intersection of a circular curve

I'm looking at tomorrow

Here is a part worked on in SOLIDWORKS 2017

I built a sweeping surface with a twist per revolution.

The outer surface of the steering wheel.

An intersection of the two courbes.et a body abduction.

Tell me if this is what you wanted?

Yannick

flywheel.sldprt
1 Like

Hello

He said around the spokes, not on the steering wheel;)

A solution to explore is to make cylindrical branches, do the winding like Yannick and then crush/deform to flatten it.

Yours truly.

1 Like

Hello

Yes, it's the branches that I want, rolled up scotch look, but I don't want them to be cylindrical, I want the temples to be exactly this dimension, because the center that holds the whole thing in aluminum must be this size.

Here is the file of the steering wheel here - attached if you want to do tests in situ

flywheel.sldprt

I read too quickly.

I can't open your file, I'm in SW 2017.

Here is my updated file, to be adapted according to the rendering you want.

yannick

flywheel.sldprt

Via the surface

and a spiral propeller

you should be able to do it

@+

1 Like

I can't do it in addition the end of my flywheel brace is smaller so you have to make a conical spiral and for a better result I think you have to do an extrusion every 4mm

flywheel.sldprt

Can you send a step?

See attached image

@+

Hello@mick

By placing planes correctly you can do it without too many PBs. And with simple sweeps it allows you to manage both the winding pitch and also the taper.

I did a bit of a scramble and the connection is not perfect!

I was inspired by a very particular method to make springs very close to reality in terms of dynamic deformation during real cinematics.

You just have to make a branch and a circular repetition to have the other branches.

Kind regards

1 Like

yes I'm in the process of inquiring about the textures I'm going to work on it

Good evening Mick

You should know if you want to use textures or 3D reliefs or even 3D made from textures (only with the 2019 and 2020 versions.)

It's not the same approach at all.

In addition, finding the right texture and in the right quality is not easy, especially since you probably want it on all sides of each branch.

Kind regards

I have the 2019 version but I can't get my way, I'd like a rendering like on the photo without 3D relief space, with your examples there is too much space between each "turn" I want 4mm glued "flanges" all along the temple.

I tried to add laps on the example of GT22 but it doesn't work.

Do you know where to download textures?

The problem is also that my branches don't have a constant size so your repetition doesn't work or at least I can't do it.

Hello Mick,

For the "sausage", an enspiral profile such as this one:

and overlapping:

wouldn't it suit your expectations?

Cdt

boudin_chevauchant.png