The proper use of the screen for your eyes

Tell me friends, you who often work on screens (well logically). What do you do not to strain your eyes too much?

Have any of them ever used the small f.lux software? Any feedback on it?

Being a little tired of having headaches when I get home at night (yes, I have the right to be a little nature!) I looked into the question a little. The effects of blue light, the drying of the eyes, all of that... It's not a party to the retina our job.

I know it's not CAD per se, but I don't think I'm the only one interested in the potential harmful effects

5 Likes

Hello

I use f.lux too, but I admit that I don't really care about this subject because I don't have headaches! What screen do you have? Is it big enough? And close enough?

1 Like

Quite tall, that's for sure (22 inches, it must be enough). And pretty close... perhaps even too much!

Hi, I don't know if you wear glasses but you should go see a doctor because headaches can come from the beginning of visual impairment. your eyes strain too much and get tired.

Ps: you're close to your screen but aren't you too ready???

Kind regards.

1 Like

22 is not a lot! We test 24 and 27 at the BE!

And if you move back 20 cm for example, can you read what's on the screen?

2 Likes

It's true that 22 inches is not huge... Personally I have a 27 and in 22 (for reading) I would hardly do without my 27.

Kind regards

1 Like

So yes, but I'm not with my arm outstretched to touch the mouse... The office is no longer big enough.

But it's at the right distance from the screen, I checked. Between 50 and 70 cm (55 to be precise)

and @Gm, no eye problems, there is a regular follow-up for the glasses

In short, myopia is not the cause, and I really lean towards the too intense light of our LEDs. And so, I come back to my "what are you doing to combat this phenomenon"

Edit: but your screens are huge!

22 inches is indeed limited for the eyes and especially for the work surface :/

Regarding f.lux, it's installed on my desktop, personal pc and my smartphone (what do you mean I'm a fan of this thing??).
Coupled with glasses with Essilor Crisal Prevencia lenses, as well as a pair of Gunnar non-prescription glasses. It's happiness. No more itchy eyes, headaches, etc.

2 Likes

In this case, try to lower your brightness, or to put backgrounds a little darker than white (like green a little dark without going into excess either:) )

@coin: yes I was going to say the same thing as G.M: if it's too bright, you have to lower the brightness and also play with the contrast!

@Azrod: Do you have Gunnar glasses on your head all day at work?

1 Like

@.PL Not all day only at home when I play or outside when the weather is right. The rest of the day at work, I have my rest glasses with a slight prescription and  Crizal Prevencia lenses.
But there are Gunnar glasses that can be corrective (there are Office ranges that look like classic glasses so as not to look too crazy :p)

3 Likes

@coin: I was telling you to step back to make sure you don't strain your eyes all day! If you couldn't read, you would have had to enlarge the characters or take a bigger screen. 

But I still recommend a bigger screen!

2 Likes

My occupational doctor advises me to take small breaks every 30 minutes by looking into the distance or closing my eyes (looking into the distance will be less suspicious!)

1 Like

Clearly less suspicious yes!

I'm going to take a nap every 30min saying it's medical, not sure if it's okay^^

@Azrod, I'll think about talking to my optician to see what special lenses he has. Maybe it's worth it to invert a little indeed

1 Like

It's true that we don't realize it, but between phone, TV, tablet and computer screen, the eyes pick up a lot!!  

But if the damage is caught in time, you can easily remedy it.

1 Like

Hello
Very important subject in my eyes  (well ok I'm going out)
More seriously, no you're not alone, I have the same symptoms and it's very unpleasant, especially when your colleagues don't understand!

I did some research like you and I take this opportunity to give you a very interesting document for all those who work on a computer (position of the PC to avoid any type of problem, such as having your arm extended for the mouse is just very bad!).

From what I felt, it comes mainly from the brightness not of the screen, but from what is behind it, I have two windows in front of me and it's just horror at certain time of the year (winter). In addition, the meds work averagely. So I think that the headaches are due to forcing our eyes to absorb too much light (car headlights morning & evening, PC light + very low winter sun = Jackpot!).

I also thought it was due to my eyesight which is declining (myopia) but this year it has hardly changed... I'm going to change my glasses soon and I was wondering about those famous anti-blue light lenses. Is it really effective? I'm ready to put money into my health but it has to be worth it...

If you can give me your feedback, I'm very interested!

44034_f.pdf
3 Likes

For my part, knowing that my symptoms are itchy eyes and the reading becomes blurry at the end of the day (not cool for driving).

- I tested f.lux. And personal, I have noticed no improvements.

- Then I lowered the contract and the brightness of my screen. I feel less tired.

1 Like

Apparently you suffer several things whose causes are different:

- dry eye: classic problem due to concentration on a fixed subject, see Tom's answer;

- Headaches: several possible causes

+ existing eye problem: apparently this is not the case

+ postural problem: screen too high (which forces you to break the neck), a screen too close/too far

+ lighting problem

Personally, as long as I do modeling, no problem. On the other hand, as soon as I do text (report/prog...) I get headaches. As a student I had glasses with a very slight correction (0.5) but it was enough.

1 Like

For the moment my troubleshooting solution is to put calendars in front of the windows:)

Small link that I just found on a filter glass test (to see if it's objective or not...)

http://thomaspascaud.com/jai-teste-les-verres-anti-lumiere-bleue/

2 Likes