Offset a Welded Profile - SolidWorks

Hi all

I'm on the mechanically welded module,

I made my skeleton in 3D sketch, I dressed it, in short, tip top.

Now I need to put a rectangle profile aligned with the outer face of a square profile. 

Now, SW offers me to position the profile, in this case I can select the point of the profile sketch that will be aligned with my 3D sketch:

-> Problem I can't align my profile faces correctly.

In inventor, there was an option to offset from the insertion point:

How to do it in SW?

Thank you:)

Hello

After validating your profile and its position, you can "edit the profile position" with a right-click and thus put a dimension. I don't know if it's possible before validating.

2 Likes

Oh interesting what you say!

I can only select the points contained in the profile sketch and I don't have access to the palette with the dimension...

And resketch the face of the square profile?

1 Like

I do it in 2 operations: offset of the body by constraints (even within a part) then adjustment of the length by the faces.

An example attached.

Be careful with the shifts in dimensions, if you modify your tube sections they may not be good anymore.

mechano-example.sldprt
2 Likes

See here:

http://help.solidworks.com/2014/french/SolidWorks/sldworks/c_Weldments_Pierce_Points.htm

Changing Meeting Points

To change a meeting point:

In fact I'm not sure that we can put a dimension, a priori you have to choose a point from the sketch of the profile...

1. Using the right mouse button, click on a mechanically welded element and select Edit Function.
  2. In the PropertyManager, under Settings, click Position Profile.

The profile of the mechanically welded element is zoomed in.

3. Select one of the vertices or sketchpoints in the profile.

The profile moves in such a way as to align the new meeting point with the sketch segment of the mechanically welded element.

1 Like

Not so bad Inventor ;)

Alternatively, you can also create a specific profile sketch for this project. Then include the attachment points that you will put at the desired distance

1 Like

@Frédéric, your proposal would make me have a skeleton dependent on the square profile. So if I remove this profile, so does my line...

@Benoit, I think I'll do it like this for the moment, really interesting!

@PL, thank you but suddenly it's going to be difficult to manage all the situations of encounter between profiled

@coin37coin, yes we can do that, but the goal is for the 40 designers to have the same database of profiles:)

1 Like

Oh yes, indeed, it's starting to be too many people for this option.

Otherwise, a right click on your section once created => move...

(Don't forget to select all the faces that match your coin. Internal and external), you choose the direction of travel

And presto.

But it's a bit close to the @Benoit.LF solution