Automatically break down a piece into a puzzle

Hello 

I was asked a question this week at work and I don't have a shadow of a solution to offer. 

I'd like to break down a piece (like the name SolidWorks to put it simply) into different pieces to form a puzzle. The final application is to replace SolidWorks with the name of my company and to have the different "puzzle" pieces cut out by a supplier.

I found the split function that one can use, but it seems too tedious. Especially since I'd like to make it automatic.

I find a tutorial that looks like what I want to do, but for complex shapes I'm not sure it works very well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=wG9n-Gtw7gk

Here's an example of what I want to do: https://fr.123rf.com/photo_86168482_puzzle-puzzle-lettre-f-illustration-de-rendu-3d-isol%C3%A9-sur-fond-blanc.htm

Thank you for your help

Hello

The tutorial on youtube is a good method but a bit long.

It uses an image as a template and uses it a bit like a paper layer.

I suggest you instead take an existing puzzle and use the sketches of it directly. Provided that what you want to do is good as in the photo.

For puzzle models of all kinds, look on GRABCAD by digging  around, you will find what you are looking for.

Kind regards

Does this mean that I have to create each part of the letter as a piece? I find it long and tedious. I'm willing to write a macro to do this if need be. 

I was wondering if we could decompose a solid in solidworks with elements such as mesh elements into finite elements? So I have the idea of breaking down the solid into X elements and grouping them together to form a piece of my puzzle. 

Hi, you could use the insert image method and then use autotrace.

1 Like

Hello @a.leblanc

If the image is not in very high definition and already at the right size, it looks ugly because of the pixelation.

What do you think? ;-)

Kind regards

1 Like

I don't know this function. Do you have more information about this?

Hello Charles

Look here it's quite well explained otherwise you have tutorials on youtube and grabcad (in American but understandable like a comic).

But as I said before, take an image almost at the right size and preferably in monochrome because if you have pixelation and autrotrace you make not sharp lines.

Kind regards

2 Likes

It's not wrong, but it already allows you to have a beginning to touch up.

Otherwise make a first outline of a male/female part and linear repetition of the outline 

2 Likes

You have to see if it's for occasional or repetitive use.
In the cases, I would try to make an assembly, thinking about the different letters to be made, there are no pieces that could be reusable.
I believe there is a method to transform a multibody part into a series of parts with a single body.

If it's for more repetitive use with very different fonts and practically all letters. That's going to be another thought...

1 Like