Define the coordinates of the Origin?

Hello

I am currently working on a project where several trades are in cooperation, each using its own 3D software.

Several constraints have been put in place, in particular the position of the origin so that, when integrating the different 3D files with each other, everything is easily in place.

The problem is that the origin is not placed in 0; 0; 0, I have my coordinates and I have to place my origin on it...

How do I place my origin at the desired coordinates??

Cdt.

I understand that the coordinates on # log

are not in the same order according to the logs

see the X.Y.Z = Y.Z.X

so it shouldn't stick

To move your origin it is up to you to move your assembly to locate it via the desired origin

*to do this, make your assembly free and position it via your origin and fix it

hoping to have answered the question

@+ ;-)

3 Likes

Indeed, the origin is necessarily the point 0. So it has to be your models who move.

If you have the possibility to add a level in the head, the easiest way is to insert your current assembly into a new assembly in which you orint and position yourself according to the desired offset.

In this way, there is only one element to constrain without taking over the entire original assembly.

By positioning a coordinate system, you can put it in the place where your piece should be, or your common origin.

It's in reference geometry: coordinate system.

Hello

In SolidWorks, it seemed to me that the origin was always at 0,0,0?

I don't quite understand? Maybe it's a second coordinate system?

Hello

Indeed, the simplest way is to create a coordinate system with the values that have been communicated to you in an assembly and to position your elements on this coordinate system.

As @gt22 said very well, be careful with the meaning of the XYZ that everyone is in sync.

@+

2 Likes

Hello

I have already encountered this problem in a project where I had to reposition CAD of thermoformed and modified parts on mold  CAD in order to reposition everything in the machine origin for additional machining.

The simplest in fact is:

- Import your parts in stp format

- Save them in solidworks format

-You make an assembly by fixing your first part in the origin you want to keep

-You bring back little by little the whole of the pieces

-You edit your parts in the assembly.

-In reference geometry you create a new coordinate system that you coincide with your reference origin.

-You save your parts (still in edit mode) in stp format but before validating the registration you click on option and at the very bottom of the window that opens you change your newly created coordinate system. A screen of the coordinate system change window is copied to the attached version.

-You start the first step again by importing your new stp file and you resave it in solidworks format. And then when you import your part in solidworks format it will have the new coordinates of the assembly and it will reposition itself without constraints (it will of course have to be fixed!)

I know it's tedious, but it's the only way I've managed to find to reposition my thermodrilled parts on the mold. There is probably a much simpler methodology.

I hope this helps!

Good luck

systeme_de_coordonnees_de_sortie.png

I encountered this a few years ago for machines for the automotive industry.

We made our machines in the classic way (origin in the center and all the practical side of that...) then we created a higher level of assembly where we constrained our machines in relation to the customer origin (the 0 of the vehicle).

In any case, you shouldn't try to draw each part in customer origin, because if the part is used in 2 places it no longer makes sense...

As for the orientation of the axes, it is to be tested. Because the SolidWorks System has always seemed strange to me: for a vehicle, for example, YZ is the front plane, XZ is the top plane and XY is the side!

After analyzing the answers, I think that the technique I am going to use is the Sami technique, it is the one that seems to correspond the most to my needs.

In my case, it is a future building, I have the plans of the building, I have to create my parts (network of ducts) that I will send to the client, he will be the one who will take care of integrating my parts as well as those of the other lots into his building plan.

If I follow your methodology correctly, since I have the assembly file of the building, I just have to create my parts in the assembly by creating a coordinate system that I must coincide with the origin of my building and when I register my parts, I specify the origin (like on your screen) and my part will be placed automatically without constraints when my Will the customer insert it into his assembly?

If that's right, it would make my life completely easier!!

Thank you all for your answers.

EDIT: For the orientation of the axes, I'll manage, the important thing for me, for now, is really to coincide the customer origin with mine!

@ Joss

Try it with a body (a table) to integrate into your plans via these origins 

I'm not sure it fits

He may end up with a table with his feet up and the top in the opposite position to what you want

@+ ;-)

Hello

The Move/Copy function  makes it easy  to change  the origin of parts.

It can be found in : - insert

-Surface

-Move/Copy 

Hope to have answered the question

1 Like