Rib deformation on cutting tools

Hello

I make non-standard cutting tools. I draw the profiles of these shape tools on SolidWorks.

These tools contain: a cutting angle, a draft angle, and a side draft angle.

I'm having a problem designing the tool. When there is draft and side draft no problem but when I add a cutting angle there is a change in the value of the dimensions on the X axis. (See PDF) I don't know how to calculate this change in dimensions. Can you help me?

Thank you in advance,

See attached doc

Arnaud

explication_outil.pdf
1 Like

probably because your odds are not orthogonal

but according to the plan of your rooms

that's why on your cutting strip parts your length is different

@+ ;-))

2 Likes

If my sketch is on the inclined or horizontal side, the problem is still there.

Hello

This is perfectly normal.

When you add your cutting angle, you lower your cutting edge according to the draft angle, so you change the dimension when seen from above.

S.B

angle.jpg
1 Like

I agree with you. Do you know a way to calculate the dimension according to my cutting angle and my stripped angle?

Thank you

Hello everyone,

To remedy this, in your design, start by making your angle of 6° and then your draft. because here you do the opposite and it does as S.B says

greeting

PM

1 Like

re

To be more precise in my words, I must finish with the stripping of the attack face

Here

On the other hand, if you do as pierre.marie.ferry says, you have to make the draft in relation to the edge and not in relation to the top plane, otherwise you will always have the same problem.

The question I ask myself is about the precision requested on your lathe tool.

As you lower your cutting edge relative to the center of the workpiece, you will also generate a defect at this level.

S.B

1 Like

I tried your PM trick but I still don't have the right odds...

Thanks S.B, I'll try. The calibration must be perfect since the SW file will be sent to a CAM software for the programming of the EDM machine.

I did it under inventor,

I didn't have a bp (see attached)

In my creation:

Do the top view first (the one where your sides change)

Extrude

Make your 6° angle

Then make your spoils of your attack face

I did it like that and it worked

arnaud.jpg
1 Like

I started by making my cutting angle at 6° and then I removed material from my profile. The ribs do not match. (Photo 1)

I then put in the draft angle and it's still not good. (Photo 2)

avec_coupe.png

Photo 2

coupe__depouille.png

"Here is the rest"

arnaud_2.jpg
1 Like

I don't know how Inventor works.

He must manage the draft in relation to the edge and not in relation to the plane.

See this page

http://help.solidworks.com/2012/French/SolidWorks/sldworks/Ordinate_Dimensions.htm

@+ ;-)

1 Like

Thank you for the methodology! It's working! I have only one problem left, the chamfer and radius ribs are not exact. (see screenshot)

rayon_chanfrain.png

for the chamfers you dimension the spokes

or in double vertical and horizontal sides or angles if the chamfers are straight

@+ ;-)

The same goes for the chamfers and radius, they must be done beforehand.

1 your general shape
2 chamfer and radius
3 tes 6°
4 Your Remains

On the other hand, I'm coming back to what s.b said, but in the end when you go to machine, you'll have a lag since your edge is not straight. Now it's at 6°. 

And suddenly you odds 1; 1.5 and 0.875 will not match! 
I don't know the fab process but it seems to be filming.

Here

So, have you solved your problem?