Deforming a bent sheet metal

Thank you Bart, I'm just like you; A lot of sheet metal work but also piping from time to time. If you want to look at my tutorials because I combined the 2, tube and round iron foldable via the sheet metal.

GT22, it's true that in reality the ext wing stretches and loses slightly of its thickness but this does not change its height at all.  When you unfold a ferrule, the press is also a rectangle, there it remains the same principle.

2 Likes

The unfolded sheet metal is smaller than the arch to be bent. Logical since the material will pull in some places and compress in others.

As I said, there are constraints to respect when you make this kind of part, at a certain stage, you have to make cuts in the profile to be able to bend it.

Unfortunately, in our workshop, we only have a small bending machine, we can only bend angles with a return fold of 15mm max, otherwise we hit the tools....

I'll attach a photo today if I can;)

2 Likes

I found an example in the workshop.

Well, the bending is low, but the technique remains the same.

The piece was passed through a roller bending machine, we had to make a 150-metre linear zigzag to make a wave on a building.

cintrage.jpg
3 Likes

@ Bart thank you for the photo

I know I'm annoying but as you say the bending is low and yet unless it's an optical effect I have the impression that it curls a little on the internal wings

At least that's what you think you see and yet your belt radius is very small

And thank you again for this feedback

You should know the minimum max bending radius to avoid that it curls should be what should be the size of the wings?

Have a nice day

@+

It doesn't curl, it's an optical effect.

I also like to understand things and see concrete cases.

The bending radius is small, but that's just one example.

we sometimes have a bull's eye to do in this case it's a 20mm+500mm angle profile bent in the round Ø 1000mm and it goes by itself;)

2 Likes

@Gt22, I'll make you a little video of bending live;)

A half round on a 10mm+50mm lg 500mm angle

Check this out already: Link

1 Like

@ Bart thank you for the link 

The other videos behind are not bad either ;-)

1 Like

Did you manage to make the piece???