Unfolded real following cutting

Hello Solidworks sheet metal community, (I've already lost 90% of the forumers...)

Attached is a bent sheet metal (bent to be exact), following intersection on the tube, I have a cutout.

When depilating, how do you obtain the shape as it is resulting from the removal of material? (there should be hidden edges on one side and visible on the other in the unfolded state at the top and bottom faces of the folded sheet)

In the unfolded state it seems that solid considers normal to the sheet metal which I don't want in this case.

Thank you for your contribution.

tole_cintree.sldprt

A picture is worth a thousand words

we don't all have the same SW version

@+

You're right gt22, thank you for your feedback.

Attached is a more visual document.

How do I make the blue edge (for example) in image 3 end up in a flat inclined position to fit the tube perfectly once bent?

Or maybe the timeline of design intent isn't good at all.

doc1.docx

Hello

Clear the Normal Material Removal check box in the Material Removal. If I have understood correctly what you wish to have 

This is a normal behavior for cutting via a laser or 2d plasma, if you are working with 3d cutting you can produce with an bias cut on the field of the sheet.

1 Like

Thank you ac cobra 427 for caring about my "case"!

It's already unchecked and if I put it on it doesn't solve my problem. (See doc)

doc1.docx

What happens is that on the same 2D autocad plan we put both the outer cutting of the sheet metal and the grinding forecasts so that once bent the sheet metal fits the tube. (see doc at the end)

I understand that SW in its sheet metal function cuts the edges straight as it comes out of oxy but then how to get a unfolded other than with the sheet metal module?

doc1.docx

when you unfold your part without the normal material removal and you expand unfolded state then you right-click on unfolded state1 then edit the function look and play with the available options to see what it looks like. I would test your part but I'm under 2017 :-(

There aren't so many options to play with to reach the solution. I'm going to test the grain direction to see

doc1.docx

Hello@Matt

Normally you can do a material removal from a plane that would be tangent to the curved part. (as if you were doing a rework milling.)

Can you post your piece, I have the 2019 version that opens everything! I will check if what I offer works at the time of flattening and especially for laser cutting.

In any case, depending on how you bend in the workshop (rolling or stamping) you will have a gap although the material removal is not too close to the edge.

Kind regards

1 Like

Hello Zozo,

Thank you for your help, here is the .prt. Tell me if it opens up well

Yes, try your proposal which in principle is equivalent to the one already made but you never know:)

tole_cintree.sldprt

Hello I'm not a pro on SW but at first glance the app in this case unfolds correctly in full sheet metal but not good on partial

in the left view (Partial) in the right view (full sheet).

1 Like

Zozo, and to all,

You gave me an idea and it works.

In my sheet metal, a simple removal of material in the most curved part of the sheet; well unfolded I clearly have the resulting ovoid.

So why on the intersection with the tube doesn't it react the same when unfolded?

tole_cintree.sldprt
1 Like

good via a gym in surface

I found  a possibility to create your cut in 3D with the desired angles

See attached image

@+ ;-)

1 Like

Thank you Franck,

I just saw that too.

So I'm going to try to chip it away by considering that my desired cutout is inside the piece, and then I remove what's extra to see.

But it's weird his delirium in SW!

Hi Matt

Keep us informed about the solution you choose.

Because beware, what you will get in theory with SW, whatever solution you choose, will not be quite the same if you do your laser flat cutting as if you do it by removing material after bending. But considering that the tube will surely be welded "no problem" and even less if it's just a passage clearance.

I always think in comparison of machining or laser cutting according to the desired precision.

Kind regards

PS: If it's for tube passages on the EPR of Flamanville it's better to be precise   (hihihi)

3 Likes

Hi all

Lynkoa asks me if my question 'Unfolded real after cutting.' can be closed?

I admit that I don't...

Reminder of the facts: The unfolded state shows the correct representation of the cut in the case of a shape passing through all the material but not in the case of the end of the sheet (SW straightens the sheet metal with normal edges at the end).

Does anyone have a solution via sheet metal mode? I tried all the configs by going to the options of the sheet metal module by ticking/unchecking the proposed functions but without success.

@gt22 you propose a solution in surface mode. Can you tell me your answer and how do you get an unfolded fold? If you could send me your .prt file it would be ideal.

Thank you all

deplie.docx

Hello @Matt Etxe

Have you solved your problem because by rereading your .docx,  I just understood where the squaring of the circle is.

Kind regards

1 Like