Unfolding a bent sheet created by extrusion

Hello

I have a bent sheet metal created by volume extrusion, I would like to transform it into a sheet metal function in order to be able to unfold it.

Its shape forces us to go through an extrusion.

However, I am blocking the transformation into sheet metal work.

Thank you in advance.

Kind regards.

Hello

What version of SolidWorks?

And at the same time, if you could join the room or put a screenshot, it would be nice...

Yves

2 Likes

Hello

To switch from an extrusion to a sheet metal part, use the "Convert to Sheet Metal" function

2 Likes

go through the polygon feature to make your extruded sketch, make a longitudinal section and

The tool Transform into sheet metal and unfold

Hello

As npouget says, it is possible to use the "convert to sheet metal" function or if you make a boiler type shape (hopper or other) the "insert fold" function by selecting the edge where the sheet metal is open.

@+

2 Likes

Hello

A photo would also help you understand why you couldn't make a folded piece directly.

Thanks in advance

Thank you all.

I am preparing a small example, which I think will be clearer.

Concerning the function convert into sheet metal I only know it when I use it, I click on a face but there are zero folds in the rehearsal.

Certainly I must have forgotten something at some point.

The SW version is 2013.

Yours truly.

1 Like

There you go.

Thank you in advance.

bec_plateau.sldprt
1 Like

Hello

Indeed with the play it's clearer. In fact, your rounding is not considered a constant radius because your sketch you made on the inclined plane and your extrusion corresponds to a projection. So SW can't find a fold. Sheet metal functions only support bends with a constant radius.

Maybe reconsider design intension. And use the "Insert Folds" feature by selecting an edge instead of the face. See attached example.

Kind regards

bec_plateau_modif.sldprt
3 Likes

In fact, I started from your room in which I redid the Extrusion function. I've also removed the Thickness constant in the equation handling. Then I took the "Insert Folds" function (as in my first answer) by selecting the edge.

bec_plateau_1.sldprt
2 Likes

Thank you jmsavoyat

On the other hand, the extrusion and the insertion of the fold, there is indeed a transformation into a sheet metal part??

I can't quite understand the transition.

Sorry.

But thank you.

Hello

As I told you above and as jmsavoyat told you, you have to use the Insert Fold function on one of the edges or faces of the volume.

@+

1 Like

On the file you posted, the "Insert Folds" function does not work (I don't know why) but by redoing the function from your sketch, you can apply the function (see image). I hope you will succeed.

Kind regards 

insertion_plis.png
2 Likes

Thank you all.

First time using the forum and nothing to say.

Have a good end of the day to all.

Thank you again.