Disorientation of a straightening

Hello

Wishing to make a part resembling a cylinder with a flattened area, I draw a circle centered on the origin and on a succession of parallel planes, I convert the axes and successively draw an ellipse with a horizontal main axis, a smaller circle and finally an even smaller circle. All circles and ellipses are centered on the same axis.

When smoothing, the part appears deformed.

plan_aiguille.jpg

Can you join the play?

7 Likes

Hello

Can we have the image of 3D? 

2 Likes

Hello

Make sure that all the sketches have only a closed outline and that the smoothing is done "as short as possible" between each shot.

In your Smoothing feature, are your guide points aligned? (see attached image)

These points can be placed manually ("snatch") or put on sketch points.

You can also draw a sketch through your sections that will serve as a guide curve.

screenshot183.jpg
7 Likes

yes as said + top post your file or at least a screenshot of your sketches on this axis just before the smoothing function in ISO view

Is your smoothing in surface or volume?

with the creative tree in visual it would be great

@+ ;-)

capture_ecran_escargot_esquisse.png

if you have a constrained spline on your sketches (on my image: circle - ellipse - ellipse - circle).

You can see that the curvature of the guide curve "pops out" of your sketches.

This does not happen if the dimensions of your ellipses are lower than those of the previous sketches.

Maybe by just controlling the inflection points of the guide curve you will get the desired result.

2014-03-11__apercu_lissage.jpg

+1 with Benoit

For a good smoothing, you need the same number of points on all your sketches.

If your circle has 4 points at 90° and your outer shape doesn't have 4 points at 90°, you need to add points to have a piece that is not deformed.

I don't know if I'm very clear.

Basically, it's the dots that guide the shape, so it needs to be roughly aligned between the different sketches.

S.B

Without a part no solutions possible ....

3 Likes

Hello

Thank you all. I was not able to consult Lynkoa in between, to read the answers. 

I will attach the file on Monday.

Benoit.If's answer goes in the direction I did. I noticed points that placed themselves in a twist, and moved them in a hurry, the setting of constraints failing.

With Autodesk Inventor, smoothing was much easier than with SolidWorks. All you had to do was select the contours without being afraid of unwanted twisting.

It's because you selected your sketches a little too quickly

It's super simple once you've created your straightening

You start from one end and make sure that your lines follow each other via the point on each sketch

In the Evaluate toolbar you have zebra and curvature which allows you to visualize the harmony of your curves

@+ ;-)

@rn5193: Smoothing on SolidWorks can hold some surprises (I don't want to demoralize you right !!).

I recently drew a closed loop smoothing (1st and last section are the same) and during the reconstructions SW decided to change the waypoints on his own! The volume therefore crossed. I'm not new to SW so I insisted and he persisted on his side!

The outcome was to draw a guide curve as specified in my first post.

Surface smoothing is more effective and it works better for some parts

Tested and approved

we go to higher limits in surface area

@+ ;-)

Hello

Here's the SolidWorks file.

GT22, I don't understand your explanation. You're starting from a bit...

The sketches all have their axes parallel and oriented and a perpendicular axis has been taken as a direction vector. They were taken one by one. So there is no reason for the points to be put in any way.

In fact, where do these points come from?

Finally, I notice that I'm not the only one fighting.

aiguille_cylindro-elliptical.sldprt

look at the attachment

you have the green dots on each sketch

which must follow a line on my example the high exterior fiber

@+ ;-)

capture_escargot_point_dorientation_du_lissage.png

What is your SOLIDWORKS version

If you're at the max in 2012 I can open and explain to you

or show me your part in 3 D and I'll make you a pretty much the same one so that you can understand the why and how

@+ ;-)

well I downloaded your piece that you don't like in your play?

I don't see a blatant flaw?

I have a little correction of the points on the curve

@+ ;-)

capture_zebrure.png

Here is the result!

I proceeded as follows (the beginning is a bit long so as not to remove the functions): 

_Dérouler the smoothing function (with the +)

_Remonter the build bar between 2 sketches of the smoothing.

_Message alert, click on "OK"

_Redescendre the build bar right between the last sketch and the smoothing function

_Là you see your sketches without the smoothing function! (all these lines for that!)

_J've edited each sketch to put a dot at the top of the circles.

_J drew a new sketch on the RIGHT plane, with just a Spline going through all the vertices of the smoothing sketches (adding horizontal tangencies at the ends, to be adjusted as needed)

_Redescendre the construction bar after the smoothing function and add the new sketch at the guide curves

_Pour terms of the constraints of departure and arrival, I almost always put them on none.

_Vous validate and you're done!

The part is in SW2013.

aiguille_cylindro-elliptique_0-benoit.lf_.sldprt
1 Like

@ Benoit takes a screenshot

with your stripes and curvatures to visualize the thing

we're not all in SW 2013

@+ ;-)

here is your part in SW 2012

I don't see anything bad via the welts and curvatures?????

@+ ;-)

aiguille_cylindro-elliptique_0.sldprt