Determine the version of Solidworks

Is it possible to determine which mini version of SW is used to open a file without having to make multiple attempts?

I was thinking of opening the file with a more or less basic text editor, but then where to look?

Hello

A priori no solution:

https://forum.solidworks.com/thread/46900

Otherwise, the easiest solution is to open with the most recent version of SolidWorks, and run this macro that will tell us which version(s) have been used:

http://help.solidworks.com/2013/English/api/sldworksapi/Get_Version_History_Example_VB.htm

Hello

There is the MycadTools tool: VersionHistory

See the attached screenshot.

See you.

capture.png
7 Likes

It seems to me that SolidWorks needs to be launched to make VersionHystory work, right? So not possible without opening the file, right?

(Edit: false, SolidWorks should not be opened, no answer yet for the question below.)

And a version at least as recent as the file? (not possible if future version).

Right-click on the file/properties and look in the detail tab.

on the "Last Saved With" line

View image

version.png
4 Likes

if you have SW 2015 

Some of you may have faced compatibility issues with SolidWorks before. This is because a SolidWorks file can only be opened on a version greater than or equal to the version on which it was last saved. The file version is therefore an important piece of data if you are exchanging data with customers or suppliers who have a different version of SolidWorks than you do.

SolidWorks 2015 allows you to add a column in Windows Explorer that will allow you to easily and quickly find out the version of a file.

http://www.leguide3d.com/profiles/blogs/solidworks-2015-montrer-la-version-annee-d-un-fichier-solidworks-

@+ ;-))

@.PL: No. VersionHystory does not open the file with SW.

3 Likes

@gt22 be careful since 2013 we can open a higher version file but it's only a blocked. equivalent I would say to an STL.

Under windows7 at the bottom of the explorer you can display the properties, and likewise there is the type column that informs.

For my part when I don't know the version, solidworks closed, I double click on the part and it asks me what version I want to use having the 2013,14,15 installed on my workstation

capture_dans_explorer.jpg
1 Like

@ Gerald yes I know with an earlier version sp5 we can open the later version +1

either

2012 sp5 reads SW 2013 version

2013 sp5 reads SW 2014 version

2014sp5 read SW 2015 version

but that's not the subject here, we're adding a column in windaube to know the version of SW

See attached photo

Adding the link

http://www.leguide3d.com/profiles/blogs/solidworks-2015-montrer-la-version-annee-d-un-fichier-solidworks-

@+ ;-))

1 Like

@gt22 you have to register to have access to your link. 

1 Like

1 Like

here is in picture since it doesn't go otherwise

@+ ;-))

So @ Gérald have you tried with your installed version of SW 2015

I tried but with my version no link for  SW last saved witch

give answers thank you @+;-))

@gt22 well No, I don't have this link but I'm in 2015 1.1 does it matter?... That's why I stay on the type tab which in my files shows me the version that opens and in my tab which says the created version.

@gt22: Be careful, no retocompatibility in 2015 due to the improvement of file compression. So it is impossible to open a 2015 file with the 2014 SP5.

2 Likes

Open the file with notepad, and look for "_ M O _ V E R S I O N". There will be a number right after, here are the correspondences:

SolidWorks 2004     2500

SolidWorks 2005     2800

SolidWorks 2006     3100

SolidWorks 2007     3400

SolidWorks 2008     3800

SolidWorks 2009     4100

SolidWorks 2010     4400

SolidWorks 2011     4700

SolidWorks 2012     5000

SolidWorks 2013     6000

SolidWorks 2014     7000

Have a nice day

4 Likes

Thank you for your answers and sorry not much time to respond.

@Bart: apparently it's related to SW2015, it's good to know but for the moment I don't install it... ;-)

@PL: I made a swb file with the content of your link but, for the moment, it doesn't work.

@Remrem: I'll have to see if we don't have a Mycadtools license available

@Batch: I like it...

I had seen the method that Batch123 proposed but I tested it and it doesn't work!

Editing: if it works, but if you open it with NOTEPAD++, you must first convert it to UTF-8 (without BOM) from the "Encoding" menu.

But with the normal notepad, it works without modification!

It was also indicated in the first link I posted!

I had the same trick with Notepad++ ;)

It's + fast to do it with Windows notepad.

1 Like