Difference in unfold depending on the format

hello everyone =)

Recently we noticed with the pattern a difference in dimension between the parts saved in .sat and .igs format.

We are in the safes so we use sheet metal so once the parts are created I export them in .sat to pass them on the folding software and the pattern saves it in .igs in the end on the unfolded we have about 5 mm difference.

Do you know where this can come from?

When importing the sat or igs, what do you do afterwards?

Do you enter parameters of thickness, tooling, K-factor or other?

What are your export settings for each format, and what is the folding software?

Thank you

3 Likes

Once the import is done in one format or the other, I open the part with the folding software

thickness and give with solidworks then as far as tooling is concerned, k factor and other everything is managed in relation to the bending software which is "CADMAN-B/3D" 

For the export parameters I do:

Save as

and I choose one of the 2 formats (.sat for my part) and then I open the file with the software.

The choice of one format or the other should not change the dimensions of the parts in theory

I see that for the Iges export, there are several "styles", standard, matsercam, multicad etc...

P-e this parameter to be modified. But do you know which of the folded is good then?

When exporting you end up with 2 different capable rectangles?

1 Like

Hello

It would be interesting to do this little test:

Exporting the same part in SAT and IGES

Open both in SolidWorks and compare them with the little tutorial I made:

http://www.lynkoa.com/tutos/cao/comparer-dans-solidworks-0

If there is a difference, it is a problem in terms of export.

If the parts are identical, it is indeed a problem in terms of import.

2 Likes

Indeed, that's what I was going to add, if there are differences, maybe see in the IGES export options:

http://help.solidworks.com/2014/french/SolidWorks/sldworks/HIDD_EXPORT_OPTIONS_IGES.htm

1 Like

@bart I hadn't seen for the style, yes in .sat once the part is laser cut and bent I fall more or less on the mm side than my 3D (variable due to bending) while in igs I "lack material".

@.PL we did the test but with the folding software (and also the laser cutting software) and each time the .igs file is "smaller" than the .sat file (which looks like my 3D unfold)

So it's the export parameter in iges that is badly adjusted.

As you can see, you have several ways to export to iges depending on the post-processing software.

Either do tests with all the parameters possible, or export to sat.

4 Likes

Personally in sat is doing very well^^
but the boss can only in iges because his version doesn't take the .sat I'm going to tell him to look at the export parameters in iges thank you =)

1 Like