Difference between STL ACSII and STL binary?

Hello

I sometimes convert my Solidworks files to STL in order to use them on other software/viewers.

It turns out that the binary STL is less heavy than the ACSII but which, as a result, is synonymous with error when opening (very, very long loading, etc...). at least more frequently. 

I am calling on your knowledge to enlighten me on the profound difference between the two formats so that I can best adapt my recording options in the future

Thanks in advance

To be seen with the user application.

1 Like

Good evening

The only difference is that binary STLs are compressed and are therefore smaller in size, you got it. The explanation is simple, it is that tessellation involves many small triangles, the ASCII STL file can become huge. That's why there's a more compact binary version.

All things considered, it's like, when you ZIP a file, except that in the case of binary files, it's a more sophisticated compression.

We cannot say that ASCII or binary is better or more accurate, since the source of the object is the same. What we know especially for 3D printing is that there are gaps, because not all programs accept acsii or binary, but most will.

@Stefbeno is therefore right in his suggestion with regard to certain applications

Kind regards

Thank you both for your answers

@Zozo_mp: FYI, I sometimes have problems when I import my STL into a filling simulation software. At least, I sometimes had problems opening with Binary STLs: With ACSII STLs it works ! (for now)

In any case, thank you for the little explanation.

1 Like