Spring Sizing

Hello

I am currently making a somewhat homemade tailstock, to be moved by the operator, and therefore put back in the initial position with the help of a spring (stop by pin).

However, to size this spring I don't know what force to base myself on and how to find it.

Thank you

Hello

A small site not badly done:

http://calcul.ressorts.org/

2 Likes

Hello

In general I go to Vanel to size my springs

http://www.vanel.com/index.php?lang=french

And the advantage is that you can get the 3D afterwards

4 Likes

Thank you but I misunderstood I think, I know how to size it, only I don't know what force I have to apply, the translation of the tailstock is simply done by hand ..

Hello

How do you expect us to inform you on this point without information.

We don't even know the weight of the tailstock.

Between a tailpipe of a bench lathe, a wood lathe or a traditional lathe, it is not the same thing.

Basically, you ask us the age of the captain:)

S.B

5 Likes

As S.B. says, it's a bit vague.

A priori like that, if there is no particular effort and if it has to come back to position when it's free, I would tell you to take the weight of your tailstock .... Otherwise, add everything else on it as a weight

1 Like

I'm just asking for the method to apply, you're talking about the weight of the tailstock, but as the spring is directly positioned on it, the dimensions of the tailstock are not fixed either since it will depend on the diameter of the spring, which depends on the force to be applied too.

The spring is necessarily attached to a fixed part, so for the moment don't worry about the weight of the spring. Look instead at the sliding forces on the frame.

Ideally, you should measure the force required on the machine with a dynamometer and of course add a safety factor.

S.B

2 Likes

Okay I'll see that, so the weight of the tailstock doesn't come into play once the measurement is done?

(sorry for the question solved, wrong manip)

The measurement will give you the real necessary effort to make your tail point move back.

This value will include the weight and the various frictional forces.

On the other hand, for it to be reliable, you have to apply the measurement in the right place on the tailstock, because if you pull up or down you won't have the same values.

S.B

2 Likes

And couldn't it be more theoretical?

because I'm waiting to size the spring before moving on to the making of the tailstock.

In my opinion, you have to deal with the spring(s) last.

1 Like

It would be simpler except that if I proceed like this and the spring I get is of smaller diameter than the tailstock, it won't do it.

Welcome to the field of mechanical design.

I would say that making and modifying so that all the elements fit  well together is our daily bread.

S.B

1 Like