Divide sheet metal parts

Hello

For the exterior stringer of a spiral staircase I created a folded sheet metal, but I would like to divide it into 3 so that it is feasible, I did two removals to create 3 different bodies, but now I can no longer unfold 2 of these parts. How do you divide this kind of pieces and always manage to unfold it.

Thank you for your help!

I attach the file in question (the removal of material that is problematic are 7 and 8)

limon_ext_haut.sldprt

Hello

could you do a step because we don't all have the same version (2016 for me).

And put a screen print of the material removal options to divide your part in 3d, I usually do 4 configs for the assembled part and 3 configs with the parts separate and in each config I use the Body-Remove/Keep Body function to keep only what I need.

1 Like

here he is sorry I'll think about it for next time

limon_ext_haut.step

These options?

2020-01-08_1.png

Perfect, try checking the box for normal material removal and it should be good.

1 Like

I just tried, it tells me "reconstruction error: Can't perform normal material removal on this part"

And if I check Optimize geometry it removes the entire lower part of the stringer...

Hello

I took a look at it last night and I had an idea this morning in front of my coffee...

In our country, to machine such a flat part we would do as follows:

1 - after the removal of material 6 do all other material removal, finishing, etc... except those who cut the piece into 3 parts

2 - unfold the piece

3 - Cut the piece into 3

4 - Save the bodies in separate files so that they can be machined separately flat.

The major flaw of this method is that we lose the possibility of folding/unfolding the (individually) registered bodies.

Have a nice day.

2 Likes

I think I'm going to do this option, a little DIY but it's going to do it!

Or more simply save the DXF in its entirety and then cut it in 3 with the programming software or autocad ...

Hello 

Generally, it is easier to cut flat than to shape on SW. 

Indeed, to make the cut so that it passes through a 3000X1500 laser, the best method is to go through a 2D software such as autocad.

1 Like