Settings failed to download

Hi all

Since I did the last update, every time I launch the Solidworks software (Version 2020 SP3.0) I get the message "Unable to download settings [...] error 504".

It's impossible to understand why. Can you help me please?

capture.png

Hello

It is difficult to know what parameters these are. SW's messages are never very explicit and moreover they are used for several cases. Like if error X, Y, Z, W, Q, G, K, then display a stupid message. Error 504  is a standard error number when a link is not made (especially in HTML).

It smells like the installation is badly done

Question once the error appears is it possible to use SW.

If you can use it you would have to look in ==> Tool ==> Add-ons ==> and remove everything you don't use (for example if you checked "Routing" and you don't have this in your license, then SW will try to download it in vain and send you an abstruse message.

Look at this before you do a repair to the installation.

Kind regards

1 Like

First of all, thank you for your answer.

Yes, Solidworks is still launching.

Unfortunately I even tried to uncheck all the supplements but nothing helped.

An error message also activates when in the "System Options->Synchronize Settings" I try to "Save Settings..." " or "Download settings... ".

Despite all this, I don't have the impression that it impacts the functioning of Solidworks.

@Loulou

Let's wait to see the suggestions made in the other Topic you have opened.

Kind regards

Hello everyone 

I've had the same problem for two days. I'm on SW SP5.

Have you fixed this bug?

Kind regards.

Florent.

1 Like

I'll try renaming the parameter folder in Regedit to go back to a default SW and see if the problem at startup is still there (there are tutorials on the internet, it's not complicated but you have to avoid doing anything in there anyway).

If it's no, then there must be a path of the settings that it doesn't find in your current settings.

If so, it's probably because there was an update on your PC that created the problem (Windows, Office pack, antivirus....)..

NB: SW 2020 Sp3.0 should be avoided (especially if you use EPDM). Since the Sp5.0 is out I will install this one rather

1 Like

Good morning,

I had the same problem on SW2017 SP5, following a Windows update.

If the problem is with the SW settings, reset the solidworks settings to 0.

If windows go back to the previous version.

Cdlt

1 Like

You need to change the name of a registry key

Go to regedit (start, run regedit) and then rename:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Solidworks\SolidWorks .... depending on the version you want to reset.

When you restart SW, you will have the "factory" settings again

1 Like

Hello

For my part, the problem had disappeared on its own (at least I don't see what I did to stop getting this error message).

But recently, while I was still on the SP3.0 version, I had this problem again appearing. So I decided to do the SP5.0 update. Unfortunately, this error message has not disappeared. This is why, as said above by @froussel, I think that the problem is external to Solidworks.

So I tried with Regedit having previously saved my settings. For my part, it worked. I simply followed the tutorials I found on the internet by typing "regedit solidworks rename settings". Once I had the "factory" version I restored my settings and the problem disappeared.

Hoping it will work for others.

Thank you all for your answers and have a good day.