Auto Material Removal

Hello

I make structures in folded sheet metal profiles

I can't see how to create a cutout of the yellow shape in any part that would come into contact with the red surface. A kind of automatic mortise, the ideal would be that it adapts to the thickness of the part, but hey...

This in an assembly, i.e. SW's mortise and tenon tool does not work.

I thought about a library function, but how do I apply this function to the green surface, which can change in thickness? I can arrange for the length of the tenon to be fixed, the width too, but the thickness depends on the sheet metal used....

I'm dry, especially since I don't often practice library functions.

thank you for your enlightenment

A+

Hubert

capture.png

Hello

You have to go through a family of parts that would be controlled by an Excel table. Execel allows easy updating and consistency checks by rules contained in formulas specific to your company

So you can have the length, width of the mortise you want and also the pitch between each mortise without limitation of length since you are making profiles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGZTv99R4hE

and here to properly use Configuration publisher

Hello

I think the goal is to have an automatic removal of material according to the tenon when you put the part in an assembly???

Hello

If you have access to this "Tenon and mortise" function, it means that you must be in SW 2018 and this function is also valid in an assembly...

Have a good long weekend ;-)

3 Likes

See this tutorial among others

http://www.lynkoa.com/contenu/fonction-biblioth%C3%A8que-dans-solidworks-0

@+ ;-)

Zozo-mp

Too many different cases for a spreadsheet, we only do tailor-made and the application cases are really varied and difficult to manage in a family of parts.

AC Cobra 427, exactly you understood everything!! It will save me from having to make dozens of mortises for each frame I create. Once the function is applied to my tenon, hop a removal of material to any part that I put in front of it. It can be another profile, a simple sheet metal, a part from a sub-assembly etc...

Antho, OK that's what the help says, but in an ASM, I can't find the command, even when searching via the "search" field at the top right.

Anyway, my post must be in my part file, since I have to unfold the profile to cut it with a laser.....

I did a removal of material in the assembly, but you can't make it a library function.......

I stall

a+

Yes, also seen

But doesn't work in my case, I'm trying to apply to my part file a function that will be cut out by another part.... absent when I create my function.

But otherwise, indeed in a multi-body room, it works perfectly

If it turns out it's impossible :-(

and why you say it doesn't work I would like + explanation please

@+

Well, because I want to remove material from a piece other than the one that serves as a reference for my function.

When I create my function and save it to the library, it works, but when I want to apply it to a tenon of a part in an assembly, I get an error message (see attached screenshot)

Or I'm doing it wrong.... :-)

capture2.png

yes after checking

the only walkthrough I found

See attached image

it's not self-sorry ;-(

@+ ;-)

u_tenon.sldprt

SW 2017 assembly

@+ ;-)

assemblage_piece_tenon_avec_decoupe.sldasm

Cool thank you

but the 2.sldprt are missing. to loading

a+

oupsss no c ok thank you

1 Like

you only have 1 since it's the same room ;-)

same for the identical 3-piece assembly

one of which is perpendicular ;-) for fun

@+ ;-)

assemblage_tenon_sur_plusieurs_pieces.sldasm
2 Likes

Good evening

I will try to answer this because Huber says

Once the function is applied to my tenon, hop a removal of material to any part that I put in front of it.

In the solution proposed by gt22 (sorry friend) the function remains in the assembly but not in the part file since

Huber says  Anyway, my post must be in my part file, since I have to unfold the profile to cut it with a laser.....

This is possible by making an edition of the nopn coin pierced but already assembled.

Once you are in editing, you create a sketch using the "convert entities" function to create your sketches, then remove material from the resulting sketch.

When you exit the edit and save the ASM, well all the modifications are in your room as you wish. Ready for flattening and laser cutting

It took me 3 minutes to do it and above all no mistakes.

EDIT : Damned is the same idea as @gt22 and @ G. in the topic

@ gt22  STP makes a "pack and go" for your ASM otherwise we can't open because it's looking for the parts.

tenon_mortaise_semi_auto_explication.jpg

So thank you for your help

It is indeed a solution, even if it is not automatic

A+ 

@ Zozo

doesn't modify the previous answers it disturbs the reading of the thread

@+ ;-)

1 Like

Ok  gt22 I would do it more:-)        NOooooonnn don't bang the head:-)

2 Likes